First tripod purchase...

Michael Cardenas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking to purchase my first tripod; don't know a thing about them other than they are meant to hold a camera in a stable position. What are some factors to consider when purchasing a tripod? Are they manufacturer specific? (If I have a Nikon do I need to purchase a tripod from Nikon?) Where is a good place to buy a tripod? Any and all input is appreciated on the matter. Thanks and enjoy your day ✌🏾.

Your height? Your camera/lens(es), i.e., weight?, Your subjects? Your budget? Let's answer those first, OK?

G'day Michael

Stemming from the earliest days of camera making, ALL camera + tripod threads are "1/4-inch Whitworth" thread, so you do not need to worry about compatibility

as cgw above says, you need to consider those variables and to those may I add some thoughts...
** the $50 cheapies / small ones sold in many chain stores are light and best suitable for small cameras / phones, NOT a good camera maybe with a half-decent zoom lens weighing it down
** many units come with a ball-and-socket head, others a pan-and-tilt head. Play with each in the shop before selecting which style suits your usage
** overall, I would say 'be prepared to spend $us200 minimum, but don't go overboard with hugely expensive stuff either'

hope this helps
Phil

OK, let me tell you the biggest mistake people make when buying a tripod--they look for the least expensive option. I'm not saying you should go blow $1,000. I'm saying you can easily get a tripod that is $35, looks nice, and it's crap. You see, all tripods are compromises--you can't get one that is great at everything and also inexpensive. If you get one that is great for travel, it's not going to be as solid as one that has fewer leg segments and is heavier.

First and foremost, your tripod needs to be stable with your camera. Depending upon what you're shooting that could mean: stable on uneven, rocky ground, stable so if you bump in to it when in a studio you don't knock your camera over, stable enough to hold a body with a 600mm zoom for the wildlife you're shooting, or stable enough to handle a 2 minute exposure when you shoot astro photography. I'm not saying it needs to be all of those things. Only that looking at it in the store and extending the legs and it doesn't blow over doesn't mean it's "stable enough." Definitely go to a store and try out some tripods first (even if you order something online). Look at how much weight it can hold. Set it up and then try wiggling it.

Second, think of how you'll shoot with it. Are you looking to take long hikes with it? Then a composite model (which will save weight but usually be more expensive) is the way to go. Do you expect to fly with it a lot (so it needs to fit in carry-on luggage)? Then a tripod that folds down into about 14 inches is important. Are you going to use it for video? Then one that tracks/pans well is important. If you shoot wildlife then a tripod that can handle a gimbal is important. If you're shooting macro photography, product photography, or food photography, then a center column that can go upside or tilt horizontally is important. So you see, a tripod that is perfect for me might be mediocre or poor choice for you.

Third, a couple of things to consider. A lot of beginners will extend the legs and then raise the center column. That will substantially reduce stability on most tripods. Look at the tripod with the center column not extended. That height may give you a sore neck from having to bend over. Also, I shoot a lot of stuff in the dark--I put a strip of florescent tape on the legs so I don't bump in to the tripod in the dark. If you shoot in rough terrain, you might like a tripod that allows you to put spikes on the bottom. Also, the more segments to each leg (2 vs. 3 or 4), the less stable each tripod leg is likely to be.

As for brands, I've got a Manfrotto that I love and a Benro that I'm pretty happy with. They serve different purposes--one for studio/long exposures (it's rock solid). The other is a travel tripod that I can put in my carry-on luggage. I also have a Platypod (which is great for using a chair or a table or the top of a car as a tripod/stabilizer). I also have a Gorillapod (which I've wrapped around a small tree trunk or a fence rail). I also have a Monopod (which I use for sports photography--primarily soccer and football). As you see, different models for different needs.

Don't be intimidated by all this. The key lessons are: go to a store and play with some tripods to start to get a sense of the limitations of each feature. And think about how you'll use it (and let that drive what you look for). Remember, all tripods are compromises. And if you get a really cheap one, all it's good for is to use to beat off a potential mugger.

Looking to purchase my first tripod; don't know a thing about them other than they are meant to hold a camera in a stable position. What are some factors to consider when purchasing a tripod? Are they manufacturer specific? (If I have a Nikon do I need to purchase a tripod from Nikon?) Where is a good place to buy a tripod? Any and all input is appreciated on the matter. Thanks and enjoy your day ✌🏾.
Some useful information here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/tripod
You can save money by buying second hand - lightly-used tripods are fairly common from B&H, KEH, MPB. &c. Good luck from one who seldom shoots freehand.

I summarized some recommendations on a similar post a few months ago. I will link to that here.

If you've ever read Thom Hogan's Tripod 101, it is a humorous and informative anecdote on what happens when you start with something cheap and keep upgrading until you eventually have something decent. Note: you absolutely do not need to buy any of the expensive products listed in this article.

As for my specific recommendations, see the link above for more detailed explanations. Here is a concise list.
  • Full-sized tripod: Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 aluminum tripod with XPRO ball head. It's big and heavy and stable. A bit pricey, but will last forever. If you don't have a specific reason to go with carbon fiber, the more affordable aluminum version is just fine. You can also buy just the legs and put a different head open it if you prefer.
  • Mid-sized travel tripod: The Manfrotto BeFree series is a good balance between size/weight and stability and is easier to travel with. You can get it with aluminum or carbon fiber legs, level or twist locks, and several different heights. This one has lever locks on the legs, this one has twist locks, and this one gives you an extra 5.5" of height, but doesn't fold down quite as small.
  • Ultra-compact tripod: Sirui T-025SK T-05S Series Traveler Ultralight. The best tripod is the one you have with you, and this one folds down to under 12" and will fit INSIDE your bag. It's not the most stable if you're looking to do long exposures and it can definitely benefit from a weight hanging from the center column (such as camera bag or water bottle), but it can hold most mirrorless and DSLR cameras, even with larger lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back