First Try at Macro.

dj-cline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got my camera on boxing day, and just recently tried shooting with the manual mode.
this was my first try at a Macro.
Please give me advise and tips!

Slumberpartaybrensforkz023.jpg

Perhaps a more interesting subject would be better, but as for this one, I believe it's underexposed. The top and bottom are chopped, which for this pic, bothers me. I'm curious to know if you were trying to do something with the tape measure, or if it just happened to be in the shot?

Not bad for a first try, shooting macro can be a lot of fun. My suggestion would be to photograph the subject tighter and not have so much empty space to the left. It is nice to get the bokeh effect but I don't think you need quite as much of the blank space to the left. These are just suggestions, keep on experimenting and have fun with it.

Please, try to post actual shots. This is a macro snapshot. Try something a bit more interesting ;)

If the canister was shot on its side, the background would have been the white surface, and most likely you would have had the full length of the canister. You can then rotate the image 90 degrees.

Since the 'subject' is of importance, then a wide apperture e.g 2.8 or as wide as the lens in use will allow should be used. The lens you used 18-55mm is not really suitable for macro shots. If you have a longer focal length e.g 28-200mm, then set the lens at 60mm and use the widest apperutre at that length.

It really is a matter of practise, and always check the 4 corners of the view finder to make sure there's nothing unwanted creeping into the shot.

Unless you haven't updated your gear list from the siggy, you have a close-up shot..... not a macro.

The image is rather mundane. Try to find a more interesting PoV or find a more interesting subject.

Thanks for the advise guys!

And Bazooka, no, the tape measure was just in there,
it was just sitting in the graphics lab at my school, and i was messing with my camera,
so i just took a photo, and it kind of works, cause of school and all.

Well its not Macro, its a somewhat closeup. If you have a true macro lens get closer!

Could someone tell me then just what is a macro shot and why the above - taken I assume on the macro setting on the camera? - is not a macro shot?

Also if the lens can't take a macro shot is there any way that I can get a macro shot without having to pay for a very expensive macro lens?

Could someone tell me then just what is a macro shot and why the above - taken I assume on the macro setting on the camera? - is not a macro shot?

Also if the lens can't take a macro shot is there any way that I can get a macro shot without having to pay for a very expensive macro lens?
That lens is does not have macro ability. I took it upon myself to try and explain with a couple of images. Maybe this will help you also.

First I found a glue stick that I thought was roughly the same size as the OPs. 4" (102mm) long.

785550138_gHnyV-XL.jpg

At the 1:1 macro setting, you will notice that it is much closer than the OPs. The blue banner that ELMERS is in is approximately 7/16" (11mm) long.

785550097_oG3FF-XL.jpg

Sorry Overread........ it's the cost of doing business. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back