First try at night photography

mrshaleyberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got my new manfrotto tripod, and shutter release remote, so my husband and I took a trip downtown San Diego last night and I played around. It was probably the most fun I've had waiting around for the shutter to release! My husband on the other hand, wasn't having so much fun. ha! Loved playing with bulb mode! I think night pictures are going to be my new addiction. They're pretty fun..Although being downtown at night is a little scary.

C&C please!

i feel like ive seen this before. might just be the city and probably the composition too lol....but i think you nailed it as your first attempt. the horizon is lightly not aligned well

Yeah, I was trying to get it aligned in lightroom but it's really hard to see since it's so dark! I'll try it again. Thanks!

Great first capture. Was it a little windy or anythign like that? Make sure that if you have Live View that you use it to align the horizon and check everything for focus and such. keep at it!

Not too windy. I didn't think about using live view! Duhhhh Haley....Will do for next time. There will DEFINITELY be a next time! :D

Well done for a first try! : D

and lining up the horizon sure is tough! and tougher when its at night...i recently shot city escape at night.. and making the horizon straight makes me almost go insane.. its not my first but the crooked horizon was kinda Obvious..

anyway i would just recommend using the "double level gizmo" (i just Purchased that for my canon) or if you have the feature in your camera for lining the horizon

happy shooting ^_^

Yeah, I have the virtual horizon thing on my camera..Just haven't used it yet. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it out!

Nice colors! What if you shot a bit earlier when there is still some light in the sky? Perhaps 15-30 minutes after sunset. That way you could have some color in the sky, and some contrast between the buildings and the sky.

Examples:
http://www.crazythemes.com/images/city-of-twilight-florida.jpg

http://www.crazythemes.com/images/miami_bay_dusk_florida.jpg

Just a couple I googled quickly to illustrate the difference.

The perfect reason for me to go back and take more...and maybe the fact that I'm only about 20 minutes away! Thanks for the idea!

I like it! I always like night shots with light reflections on the water. The only little thing that bothers me is the empty space on the right of the picture. For some rerason my eyes are getting drawn there. Probably just me though:lmao:

I like your shot. Night photography is a blast. It is great you have access to such a nice scene!

Better than my first try... One thing to remember about landscapes with bodies of water... Water seeks it's own level, so use the waterline as reference to level your shots during shooting or PP.

Most reactions

Back