Took the new camera to the county show!

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
TSuftQR.jpg

Taken on Canon R6MII and Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS LMII

Finally got some proper time with the Canon R6MII and suffice to say - I like it!!

First up the AF is bonkers good. Central is fast and reliable and the animal eye detect is scary good! At first the eye detect was something I'd turned off as I found the little boxes telling me where it thought the focus would be, were annoying if I was just using central, however in the end I got used to it and honestly it was informative to see in different situations. Setting up my backbutton AF to have central AF on one button and Eye detect on the other meant swapping between the two was fast and easy. In the end I was using animal eye-detect most of the day and swapping in regular whenever it got confused or there were too many subjects in a scene. I can certainly see why a duel AF backbutton setup is popular with people. I've long used one backbutton and now having access to regular and eye detect is a boon.

Battery life on 2 batteries was good and 32GB lasted decently well - BUT I wasn't shooting non-stop. There was plenty of just walking around looking at stalls and other things. So I know I need at least 2 more batteries and a lot more memory.

I was also in 1.6 crop mode for most of the day without realising it. It worked well as most of the scenes were fairly far off and the image quality on 1.6 crop mode is solid. However it also means I got more shots from the day than if I'd been in fullframe so that's another notch in the "get more GB!" arrow.

I did mess with shifting from electronic 1st curtain to mechanical and honestly I can't tell which was which in the shots after for this kind of photography.

In the end I wound up adding eye detect mode, crop mode and shutter mode to my custom menu for quick access rather than diving into the myriad of menus as I can see those being variables I will semi-regularly want to be able to change.

Only thing I'm not used to is the "pause" images when looking through the viewfinder when taking a burst of shots. That's still something that isn't as comfortable as the old mirror slapping up and down on a mirrored camera.
Also I wish Canon would release a firmwire update that lets me set the camera to disable the LCD image rendering. Even if it just turns off the screen and doesn't actually stop the sensor reading the data (likely because its faster than constantly turning it on and off if flitting to and from the viewfinder position.

Excellent shot! Superfine detail in the horse's coat, and the eye is sharply defined.

Considering the speed and motion involved from both horse and rider, this is very impressive. I hope you're happy with it - and do some more! ;)

Good capture. Brings out the energy of the action.

Many thanks all!

Excellent shot! Superfine detail in the horse's coat, and the eye is sharply defined.

Considering the speed and motion involved from both horse and rider, this is very impressive. I hope you're happy with it - and do some more! ;)
Yeah I really need to get out with this camera more often! It's taking a bit to get used to it, but so far I'm really liking so much that it does and having a 10 year gap the tech feels crazy superior to my 7D

Nice shot.

Wonderful shot! I've been looking at the R5, R6, and R7 as an upgrade. I found an R5 under USD 3K, so I may get that while it is on sale. Actually, it's a grey market model... :/

Last edited:
Thanks both!

Wonderful shot! I've been looking at the R5, R6, and R7 as an upgrade. I found an R5 under USD 3K, so I may get that while it is on sale. Actually, it's a grey market model... :/
Yeah I also looked at the R5 as I wanted fullframe over crop that the R7 has; the R5 is crazy at 45mp so you'd have an insane amount of resolution and cropping power. It does come at a higher cost over the R6 and R6MII, but if you can find one for a good price it would be a fantastic camera. If anything the only big worries I'd have is having to spend a lot more on memory cards and computer storage to tackle 45mp raw files (less of an issue if you shoot jpeg)

I'm leaning toward the R7 after reading a number of reviews. I do a lot of birding, and the APS-C is more advantageous, although the megapixel difference can make up for that by allowing a closer crop. Decisions, decisions... :D I need to make up my mind, because it will be my last purchase before I retire.

If I'd not needed fullframe I would likely have gone for the R7. You can go to crop-sensor mode with the R6MII (and I assume the R6 as well) and the files I get are about the same resolution/size that I got out of my 7D - so more than good enough quality. But if you're always shifting into crop mode for wildlife 90% of the time then yeah you might as well get a crop camera and not be "wasting" space on the sensor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back