first try at smoke photography

timputtick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
just thought i'd give a go… obviously had to put some unrealistic interesting colours in on photoshop, critique please?

1)

)

) before you ask why this is pink, it looks like a flamingo so it had to be done!

You did pretty good for your first time.

I recommend you keep the incense stick out of the shot. Be very careful to keep light off the background.

You can crop the photos. Make the photo a negative to change the background to white, which is why you take care to keep light off the background. I us e afelt material because it really absorbs any stray light.

Here is yours cropped, rotated, and made a negative. As you can see your background was not completely black, because the background in the negative has some color to it;
smoke-photography-finished-version-1negative.jpg

I used 2 incense sticks to make this one;

InvertD300Smoke1-22-11_0018copy.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, you can use more than 1 color, and/or you can color only parts of the smoke:

Droid

AndroidD300b12-7-10Smoke3_0023copy.jpg

The Arbor

TheWeddingArbor.jpg

The Rose

TheRoseD300b12-3-10Smoke2_0054.jpg

Or add some graphics/text;
InspirationD300b12-7-10Smoke3_0036copy.jpg

thanks, yeah i only had a black piece of card handy. Thanks for the tips
i'll try again soon and post the results

wow!.. they look really good, how did you get the two colours in the smoke? thanks

It looks like the shift key on your keyboard is only working part of the time.

Copy the background layer, or make a new blank transparent layer, and set the blending mode to 'Color'. Select a soft edged brush of the appropriate size, and a foreground color you want to use. Apply the color where you want it with the brush.

Again, a black background is very important, kind of like making the appropriate capital letters when you type a post, or the brush strokes will show on both the background and the smoke, making a half-assed looking piece of work. ;)

Wow so neat, timputtick. I think they look great:) KmH yours are amazing as well-love the rose!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back