First try at studio

Please don't confuse "Umbrella" with "shoot through umbrella"
Shoot-thru's are AWESOME and way cheaper than softboxes.

I with CA here on the softness factor. I too am a graphic artist longer then the photographer but still from the designer in me I do tend to move towards CA's argument. See umbrellas throw light in every direction possible, whereas a softbox creates a full enveloping of the light focused in one direction.

here is a great explanation to see the differences:

Umbrella vs. Softbox: a quick comparison | Portrait, Wedding, & Family Photography - Jacob Vorpahl

Yes a shoot through could be one way to diffuse the light, but it still spreads the light all around the room and is not as focused as the softbox.

Also the larger the more softer the light gets. I personnally shoot the dennys large 4x6 foot softbox and love it over the umbrellas I stopped using in 97'

Last edited:
Well right now I'm beginning and though i'm going to go in the direction of the softbox i'm also wanting to learn umbrellas because there is going to come a time when they are useful as well. I don't have a studio and this is just my way of diving in. I shoot weddings and event work so this is a whole new world to me. I usually don't get to pose people or have perfect light to work with. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments.

Most reactions

Back