First try with in camera HDR

eccs19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never tried in camera HDR. I've only ever really tried HDR a couple of times. I know there are a couple of things with it. I wasn't thinking when I did this, and shot it wide open, and the lighting wasn't that great either. I think when the sun gets lower in the sky, I'll try it again, as I think the scene makes a good subject if the lighting will cooperate. Sometimes out that way, I get a nice red sky.

HDRHigh.jpg

In camera HDR sounds like a gimmick and by looking at this shot tells me that it is not very good. HDR can look great but I feel it has to be done by hand and every photo has to be treated differently. Granted I am no expert and only played with HDR myself a few times but that is just my view on it.

I've seen a lot worse done by auto software and many of the colours almost look a little dull as opposed to highly strong, often a result of auto software HDR programs.

However you can see some of the limits of the auto software - a light halo of light around the trees (more clearly visible on the large main tree against the sky). The problem (as I understand it, correct me if I am wrong) is that the in camera HDR will only give you a single photo as a result - far more limiting since correcting a halo is far easier if you have the individual shots and can manually fix the halo.
I would say its fine for a quick shot, but for more serious work I would take the shots manually and then at least use in computer HDR software where you have more direct control or take full control and work it manually.

The problem (as I understand it, correct me if I am wrong) is that the in camera HDR will only give you a single photo as a result...

That is correct, I did only get one photo, but the shutter did fire 3 times, so I know it did actually take 3 exposures and blend them. Next time I'll try doing it by software.

Was the range so dynamic to merit HDR? In-camera HDR may do well when, like you said, the sun is lower.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back