First Wedding

As long as you have emphasized to them that you don't have all the equipment that you need and the final product will reflect that, then go for it. They may regret it later, but that is their decision not yours. It's better they have SOME photos than none.

I would download a contract or write up a simple one and make sure to write in that there are no charges for the photos, that they are only paying for travel expenses. It's hard to be held liable for something you did for free.

Good luck!

Let us know how they turn out.

I thought at first that this was a wind up, but if it isn't no worries.

It is possible to get away with all your photo's if you can use the flash for pretty much everything inside. Being a hotel I can't see a restriction to using flash unlike some Churches. If you can't use it for the ceremony then you really need to use your fast prime, but you are still slightly restricted if your camera maxes out at 1600 ISO.

Outside things will be much more easy because of the light.

You do however need a couple, not one, extra memory cards. If your present card fails you will have nothing and there is NO excuse for that!

May I just be the one to say what everyone is thinking but hasn't said: what you're doing is dangerous and ballsy. We have all been in the same spot, but look back on it and cringe. I, for one, would opt out if I don't have the experience or the equipment. But hey, all the power to you - literally!

I'm not going to try and look at it as a "job" as I may have made it out to be in the thread title.

I'm going to go there and have fun with the equipment I've got. Although I shall be paid expenses this is literally just petrol money. This isn't for the exclusive use of my photos or an end product such as an album.

I understand that I don't have the proper equipment for the wedding which is why I'm using this as a trial to see how I get on with it and if it's an area of photography I wish to pursue.

That may seem insensitive considering it's a persons only wedding (fingers crossed) but I have sat down with the couple and made them aware of my limitations as an amateur (if that) and they are happy for me to continue. I was reluctant to accept payment as I explained that I can't guarantee professional quality photos but they were insistent on giving something for my trouble. Which is why I just asked to cover my petrol costs.

The only reason I say that though is because the EXACT same thing happened to me and though I insisted on it being free, and they gave me money anyway, they were not happy once they got their photos. But I had told them and told them again that I was not professional. I guess I just don't want it to happen to someone else. They WERE friends of mine, but I haven't spoken to them since, and that was three years ago.

Hats off to you.

Agree with the above post. Even if you charge nothing, the couple will still have expectations. That is how things are, and if you make a mess of it no matter how many times you have told them this could happen, your name will be dirt all over town. So no chance of pursuing this in the future I can assure you of that.

Having very recently shot an event very similar to a wedding in terms of lighting situations (Village Jubilee Celebrations) I thought I might add some thoughts!

Fortunately I had a pick from quite a vast array of cameras available for me to borrow. You could probably guess that I got a full-frame body (5D) and a back-up (20D) as well as a 24-70 and 70-200. I also thought that fast lenses were advisable; there was a 'night-do' in the Village Hall so to maintain a candid feel I used my own 50mm 1.4 and borrowed an 85mm 1.8. While fairly competent with flash it's not the style I wanted.

I am hugely relieved that I chose this set-up, however, there are two details that saved me during the day of 7+ hours of shooting. Those things are extra batteries and extra memory cards. There is no way that one battery would have lasted the day; I charged the three batteries I had the night before yet the battery in the 5D started displaying the low battery symbol just an hour in. What would I have done without those extra batteries?

My memory cards also wouldn't have taken the whole day's shooting so either get more cards or back them up (twice) on a computer. I ended up with just under 800 images, a significant proportion of them repetitons of running races and other games.

It was a fun experiece and I'm glad I did it. It was done purely voluntarily but I am allowed to make myself some pocket money selling discs and prints. As long as you're not feeling the pressure you'll have a great time, hopefully you're a good 'people-person' as you'll probably be dealing with large groups of people doing the formals.

$Scales_Diamond_Jubilee (57 of 174).jpg$Scales_Diamond_Jubilee (102 of 174).jpg$Scales_Diamond_Jubilee (163 of 174).jpg$Scales_Diamond_Jubilee (143 of 174).jpg

Have fun!

Last edited:
I've done like 10 weddings over the years and I've done everything from having a complete album printed with extra shots and books to just giving them a roll of film and having them have it developed them selves. Get your self a good flash and learn how to use it. You can't depend on available light. I use a flash bracket that keeps the flash about 12 inches directly over the lens weather the camera is in horizontal or vertical position. This minimizes dark shadows and eliminates red eye. Most people don't want you to use a flash during the ceremony so I use a tripod and get a couple of time exposures with the bride and groom at the alter. Make sure you get that kiss. Once I was using a Mamiya C330 and the shutter release locked up right at that moment. &*%$. I was able to re-stage it. You have to be able to move quickly and give clear concise directions to people who have often had a little too much to drink. lol....Have a back up battery, lenses, camera body. If it can go wrong, it probably will so prepare for it.

... We've got nothing down in writing as two parties so they can't complain.
To the contrary, if there is nothing in writing then they can say anything that they want to. They can say that they thought they were hiring an experienced, professional photography and it will be their word against yours. I strongly, STRONGLY, recommend that you put everything in writing and have all parties involved sign it and receive copies. That is the ONLY way you have to protect yourself if they decided that your efforts were not up to their expectations.

I believe it is. I have the same type of equipment as you, and I produce good quality photos. I am no Pro, but I have had some very good shoots. As someone pointed out tell the couple to pause at each important moment. I use PS to help make up for exposure problems if I have any. Take several shots of the same pose. If your lens is limited, have the person in charge of wedding, but boxes with photographer on them on the edge of the pews or the seat next to the isle in several spots, this allows you to be close enough to shoot, but not in the way of the ceremony. Be creative when taking shots, I always begin by showing pics of poses and that loses people up and they start coming up with some poses they want, and I come up with ideas before and even during the sessions. Do the traditional and nontraditional shots, give them a mixture. This also depends upon the couple. Just enjoy your shoot:) If you have talked with the couple, then they realize what you can do, but you will be suprised that you will do much better than you think. If you have a labtop, upload your card, and also burn them to a rewriteable disk (have back up), and clear your card. That is what I am going to do. Make a list of poses, and add more as you go to give you an idea where to start. Then check off as you go. Sometimes you do have to be a little firm about shots, becasue there is usually one person who claims, "I don't do pics" in each wedding party or wants to wear there hat or take their jacket off when everyone has theirs' on, etc. Use to work for a wedding business, years ago. That is why I only do them for family...just not my thing, but other's are excellent at it! Good luck!

SCraig said:
To the contrary, if there is nothing in writing then they can say anything that they want to. They can say that they thought they were hiring an experienced, professional photography and it will be their word against yours. I strongly, STRONGLY, recommend that you put everything in writing and have all parties involved sign it and receive copies. That is the ONLY way you have to protect yourself if they decided that your efforts were not up to their expectations.

This is the UK, the sue culture has not caught hold here yet

Well I have done the wedding which was on Saturday.

I'll hold my hands up and say that was very difficult with the equipment I have got. I've got a lot of shots to go through so I won't be posting examples just yet. The family were very understanding of my capabilities and I was reassured on several occasions that they will be happy with whatever. Taking the advice from earlier posts I have also got e-mails to confirm that I am no professional, to which they understood and replied.

By the end of the evening I was made to feel very welcome and felt like a friend of the family. I was even asked for my business card. But I don't have one and don't intend to have one anytime soon.

The thing I found most difficult was getting into the right positions. For example, I didn't want to go to the front of the congregation during the ceremony due to fear of it being viewed as a distraction. My camera isn't the most silent when photographing either. So I was very self-aware of the noise I was making. So I set up at the back and got photos of the bride walking down the aisle as she passed me and then a central shot whilst the Bride and Groom were exchanging vows.

I now realise I need to shadow a Professional Wedding Photographer to gain valuable experience. But as they say nothing ventured nothing gained. It was a lot of fun and I certain the family have appreciated my efforts.

Thank you for everyone advice, much appreciated.

Yeah! I am sure you have some good shots! Every ounce of experience is a positive gain and learning opportunity:)

my best advice for you is to study creative shots from photographers you love. study study study. I assume you know how to use your camera. Even though the wedding couple didnt ask for something fancy you should do your best to surpass their expectations. A great photographer to look at for poses and couple interaction is Jose Villa. Go to his blog you can see some great and achievable shots if you study them well. ive studied all kinds of great photographers, one good way is to search google for top 10 wedding photographers. The hotel setting will make things difficult as well, so try to focus on the expressions of the couple, and make your aperture as large as possible to blur out the boring scene. Try to predict when someone will show some emotion, (when someone new enters the room, the bride is often excited, toasts are great, speeches, vows, etc.) look for reactions and photograph those, people love a good candid shot. There so much more I can tell you but that is a good start along with the advice i have read. Good luck, and dont miss the kiss.

Napa Wedding Photographer
J
on M Photography

Practice, your charging them for practice?

Looking forward to seeing them.

Practice, your charging them for practice?

No!!

That was my point about the whole event (and this thread). Because I viewed it as a practice session (and that I'm nowhere near Professional) I didn't want to take any money from the couple. However, because they were insistent on giving me at least something for my time and effort (I was with them at least 8 hours) then they were prepared to cover my expenses. (Which was money for petrol as it was a 20 min drive from where I live).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back