Fisherman

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
2019_0413_15523800-02.jpeg

Nice shot...

Curious as to why you convert to gray scale and not leave it in RGB where you have more optimization of your editing tools. Converting to gray tends to flatten out your mid range grays.

Curious as to why you convert to gray scale and not leave it in RGB where you have more optimization of your editing tools. Converting to gray tends to flatten out your mid range grays.
I do sometimes but the majority of the time I convert my raws in camera. I did this from a tablet while on vacation and I assume it was converted in camera, uploaded to tablet, maybe a slight crop, and posted...

To answer your question though, most images I shoot are in black and white simulation and usually happy with the JPEG output but then it is to late. I really have no clue to editing to be honest. I did stumble across an RGB image and moved the color sliders and it did offer greater editing detail. But here is the thing, the last thing I need is more choices because I don't know what tondo with them. I am planning on taking an editing course this year if they would stop cancelling it.

Last edited:
Sometimes what looks good to us ( the person taking the photo ) is enough, JC. If it doesn't please you, it pleases no one important. He has a very kind smile and you took a nice photo of him. I am sure he or his family would love to have a copy.

Sometimes what looks good to us ( the person taking the photo ) is enough, JC. If it doesn't please you, it pleases no one important. He has a very kind smile and you took a nice photo of him. I am sure he or his family would love to have a copy.
Thanks Dean. I actually printed one off yesterday and mailed today, to his son. The print didn't look flat at all, the man actually had nice seperation and a nice tonal range. I was actually shocked by it on first glance. They should be pleased. Heck, I did it for free as he was very gracious at showing me his boat and telling me what he did for a livi g as a fisherman of sponges and fish.

$10 a month for Light Room and Photoshop...youtube will take you as far as you want to learn in either program. In addition to that, I think you'll find a plethora of help on here.

$10 a month for Light Room and Photoshop...youtube will take you as far as you want to learn in either program. In addition to that, I think you'll find a plethora of help on here.
I don't have a lot of free time, thats my biggest challenge. 60 to 70 hours a week earning, grand kids, etc. I can go to a class, focus on it, and retain a lot more. I do realize that I need to learn more about it though. Most of the images I take require little to no editing, in my taste. The most I'll ever do is bump a curve or a slight crop in gimp. I'm not saying they don't need it, I'm usually satified. If I start playing around with an image, I invariably revert back to the original from lack of editing skill.

It can be a hard learning curve and I understand the hours for work. I didn't really get as good on photoshop for photography until I retired and had more time both to shoot and to really concentrate on editing. I've been using PS almost from the very beginning (ver 1.1) but it was almost all in a graphic design mode...it made me a living so I went with the money...I don't do much editing, mostly mid tone corrections and with white birds, I do some curve adjustments (parametric) but have learned how to shoot them so even that's not as hard to do. My workflow generally takes less than ten minutes.

Most reactions

Back