Fisheye Lens Help!

Dominik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I just ordered a d700 and I want to eventually get a fisheye for it. I was planning to get a Zenitar 16mm fisheye right away, but I said screw it I went FX for a reason and it is time to stop being cheap and get the best glass possible. So my options come down between the two, Nikon's very own 16mm f2.8 or Sigma's very own 15mm f2.8. If anyone has used any one of two lenses can you please write down your experience with the lens. Please tell me the strength and weaknesses of the lens as well. I have done my research, but I want to know more from people who use the lens. If you have both can you mention, which you like more and why? Or should I go buy a Samyang 14mm f2.8? I see mixed reviews and I know it doesn't have the fish eye effect but it is wide. So what would you recommend?

Also another question... I won't be able to get a fisheye lens right away so for a substitute I was thinking of getting either a wide-angle adapter or a fisheye adapter for my 50mm 1.8G. Any specific recommendations? Is this a bad idea or should I wait?

I want to use a fisheye lens for skateboarding and snowboarding photography mainly if that helps.

Look into a Bower/Rokinon/Samyang 8mm. This is assuming you want a full-frame fisheye.

The Sammy 14 has a boatload of complex distortion. By the time you correct for it, you're at the same FOV as a 17mm.

ETA: What would be wrong with using the 10.5 in DX mode?

Last edited:
Look into a Bower/Rokinon/Samyang 8mm. This is assuming you want a full-frame fisheye.

The Sammy 14 has a boatload of complex distortion. By the time you correct for it, you're at the same FOV as a 17mm.

My problem with the 8mm is that it is a DX lens is it not? I don't want to go to DX mode or have the horrible vig (black edges) when shooting full frame. It needs to fit the frame for me. But thank you!

My problem with the 8mm is that it is a DX lens is it not? I don't want to go to DX mode or have the horrible vig (black edges) when shooting full frame. It needs to fit the frame for me. But thank you!

The Sammy is a Full Frame lens IMS.

Fisheye lenses should generally be the very LAST lens you buy as that is the lens that you will be using the least. It is not a lens that you can use on a daily basis without getting bored of the results FAST.

When I decided to look into fisheye lenses, I looked at my kit and had everything from 20mm to 200mm covered in good quality glass, and then started the research... by renting out the Nikon and Sigma iterations of their fisheye lenses to test on my (at the time), D700 camera.

Did not take long, I returned the Nikon and kept the Sigma 15mm F/2.8 lens. It was just as good in terms of IQ and final results that the Nikon was and it was around 1/3rd of the price (at the time I bought it).

Today, I use it in less than 5% of my shots and less as time moves on, however, when I want that fisheye style shot, I have that base covered.

"When in doubt, rent it out!" To rent a couple lenses for a weekend is only a few bucks, at least that way you have personal first hand experience with the lenses you want to know the most about.

Fisheye lenses should generally be the very LAST lens you buy as that is the lens that you will be using the least. It is not a lens that you can use on a daily basis without getting bored of the results FAST.

When I decided to look into fisheye lenses, I looked at my kit and had everything from 20mm to 200mm covered in good quality glass, and then started the research... by renting out the Nikon and Sigma iterations of their fisheye lenses to test on my (at the time), D700 camera.

Did not take long, I returned the Nikon and kept the Sigma 15mm F/2.8 lens. It was just as good in terms of IQ and final results that the Nikon was and it was around 1/3rd of the price (at the time I bought it).

Today, I use it in less than 5% of my shots and less as time moves on, however, when I want that fisheye style shot, I have that base covered.

"When in doubt, rent it out!" To rent a couple lenses for a weekend is only a few bucks, at least that way you have personal first hand experience with the lenses you want to know the most about.

Um.

Holy CRAP.

Jerry????!!!?!!

Fisheye lenses should generally be the very LAST lens you buy as that is the lens that you will be using the least............

I dunno about that. Suppose you shoot a lot of skateboarding?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back