Fishtank... Day 2!

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Still insanely cloudy from the substrate I used (Seachem Flourite). I did a water change today and re-arranged some bits. The plants are haphazardly placed for the time being--I'm really just trying to cycle the tank/get it ready for fish next week. I had a planted tank years ago before college, and now that I'm back home I figured it's time to get it up and running again. I'll post more pictures in the next week once it becomes clearer and definitely when I add fish.

Cheers!
Jake

Nobody else likes fish?!

Nice Tank , but you wont be cycled in a week , unless you seed it with bacteria from an established tank/filter ect .and your water clarity will get worse before it gets better as it cycles. patience is key in the cycling process buuuut after all that whatcha gonna keep ? :)

I don't do frshies/planted, but in reef terms a week is way too fast. And stop doing water changes during the cycle, it will only prolong it. What are you using as an ammonia source to jumpstart the cycle?

Nice Tank , but you wont be cycled in a week , unless you seed it with bacteria from an established tank/filter ect .and your water clarity will get worse before it gets better as it cycles. patience is key in the cycling process buuuut after all that whatcha gonna keep ? :)

I know a week is really being hopeful... haha. I don't have any pre-established water to use, sadly.

I want to keep something similar to what I used to have:
a pair of angels
kuhli loaches
cory cats
a larger tetra (I had black phantoms)
maybe a small pleco
fire eel.

That's the rough setup, but it may and will most likely change.

I don't do frshies/planted, but in reef terms a week is way too fast. And stop doing water changes during the cycle, it will only prolong it. What are you using as an ammonia source to jumpstart the cycle?

I don't have a good ammonia source.. I'm going to use the plants and bacteria they may have to help cycle it. I did that change the day after, mostly to help clear up the dust. I won't do any more for a while now. Now I just have to test daily and wait...

I don't know about fish tanks, but the stuff is in the water - in suspension - needs to to fall the bottom; (slight reduction) temperature change?

I don't know about fish tanks, but the stuff is in the water - in suspension - needs to to fall the bottom; (slight reduction) temperature change?

It's mostly microparticles of dust from the substrate. It'll filter out, just slowly. It looks better and better every day.

Cool, I'm using a fish tank heater for my sink C-41 tetenal :)

Thanks :) honestly: get on it - full frame 35mm; (same price as a night on the lash, scanner excepted..I got mine for nothing in a charity shop :))..thrift store camera: $20, Tetenal kit $30..good for many rolls. A few bits and pieces, that can be scrounged. Optical prints.

Last edited:
Nice start to a planted tank! I love the clean look of planted tanks with driftwood filled with schooling fish!
I have a reef tank my self, and have had reef tanks for 14 years now lol

Nice start to a planted tank! I love the clean look of planted tanks with driftwood filled with schooling fish!
I have a reef tank my self, and have had reef tanks for 14 years now lol

I just didn't want the hassle and expense of a salt-water tank. Haha.

I know a week is really being hopeful... haha. I don't have any pre-established water to use, sadly.

Pre established water won't help cycle a tank. The beneficial bacteria is NOT in the water in grows on surfaces. To quickly cycle a tank you use filter media from another tank or decorations and gravel from an established tank.

Pre established water won't help cycle a tank. The beneficial bacteria is NOT in the water in grows on surfaces. To quickly cycle a tank you use filter media from another tank or decorations and gravel from an established tank.

I have access to none of that, haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back