Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
-Tech Specs
Canon 5DmkIV with Canon 16-35mm f4L
1/160 sec f11, ISO 100 cropped to a 3x1 from a single frame

-Lighting
Shot just as rain clouds were moving in from the North. The sky had a lot of cloud and a few rain showers though there were a few breaks in the cloud cover at about 3pm (2-3 hours before sunset)

-Why did I take the shot?
I've been trying to use light a bit more in my shots, and on this evening the rays from the sun were caught my eye. I think I may have taken this one a bit too far in post, though it was pretty dramatic when I was there. I really wanted to try and highlight the rays with the sillouettes of the sea stacks

Fitful Head by wee_pete, on Flickr

I'n not much of a landscape shooter but I do like this.

As for going too far. I can't see anything in the image that jumps out and screams it's been edited to death. The only thing that I can pick up is maybe some light adjustments and a bit of vignetting but in this scene I think a vignette works perfectly well.

I'n not much of a landscape shooter but I do like this.

As for going too far. I can't see anything in the image that jumps out and screams it's been edited to death. The only thing that I can pick up is maybe some light adjustments and a bit of vignetting but in this scene I think a vignette works perfectly well.

Thanks mate, that helps a lot.

I quite like vignettes and have them is most of my images, though I do try and adjust the strength so they are not too obtrusive.

This was one of those scenes where the camera didn't quite capture the way I saw it so I tried to produce something in post which was a bit more like what I felt I saw. The god rays were pretty clear to me on the day, but lacked a little in camera, so they've been dodged and burned a little and I increased the colour temp as doginging and burning was either a bit too much or too subtle. In this I was concerned I'd made the clouds too dark, but they were very large and oppressive at the time coming in fast too.

I need to get myself a longer lens, but limited to what I've got for a couple of years. It's got me really thinking about how to use the wider angles.

Thanks for the feedback!

I like the light and subject but it’s all just too far away with nothing in the foreground. I think you can get away with using the wide angle on a distant subject if you can find something in the foreground to draw the eye back to the horizon.

This is one of those shots that really needs to be viewed LARGE to take in all the details, otherwise as SP above noted it gets lost in the distance.

I like the light and subject but it’s all just too far away with nothing in the foreground. I think you can get away with using the wide angle on a distant subject if you can find something in the foreground to draw the eye back to the horizon.

Thanks SquarePeg, this was a difficult one. I did try and find some foreground but it was very difficult. I did try and use the wavy line of the seaweed a little and the little bit of light on the sand. Part of it was trying to show the expanse of the sand, it's shot on the tombola, and while it looks small from above it's really pretty wide. Ultimatley it was a shot that I never really intended to get anything from, but the combination of the sea stacks and the sky really appealed, with the oppressive cloud cover I thought that keeping the foreground quite dark might work.

Thanks for the feedback, foregrounds are something I do really need to work on more and something I've been trying to get better at, though it's not shown in this shot.

This is one of those shots that really needs to be viewed LARGE to take in all the details, otherwise as SP above noted it gets lost in the distance.

One of the difficulties with viewing online mate. I must admit the hotel I was staying in had some big prints, probably 60" or more on the long edge so it did capture my imagination for printing really big. I love those really big prints, and because of the size, composititions that wouldn't normally work can. Maybe one day I'll try it out and see

Most reactions

New Topics

Back