sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of *those* days. Went to my favorite Osprey spot yesterday--thought about going back to where I saw the colony of heron's nests last Sunday, but that's much closer to my house and so I figure I can squeeze that in sometime this weekend. This other refuge is about 70 minutes from me, plus it's an area that TVA begins regulating water levels for at this time of year, and so I don't know how much longer I'll be able to access it.

In fact, here's a picture of the area the FIRST time I went, in mid-March:

Mar29_2766editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

And the same area as of yesterday:

April18_6739editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

That road in the first picture is now completely underwater. Fortunately, THAT is not the main road in to the refuge; but the main road is only about 3 feet higher up (off to the right from what you see in the photo), and so far it's completely dry, but I hear it does flood over quite a bit once the water levels rise.

Anyway. I went in the afternoon, hoping to stay till sunset and see some different waterfowl, since the area is supposed to be well-known for the variety of water birds. There were approximately six gazillion fishermen there (and that was on a weekday--imagine the place on a Saturday!). so it was hard to find a spot without people that the birds might be interested in. Nigh unto impossible evidently, because while I SAW lots of birds, as usual--at least six bald eagles, several osprey, cormorants, etc--they were all staying way off on the other side, away from all the rabid fisher-people.

Finally, late in the afternoon, I got ONE Osprey that came close enough to get a pretty decent picture of:

April18_6782editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

It was worth the drive and the five hours though, because not only did I least get that shot, but it's also five hours plus driving time that I was not at work. :lmao:

As usual, C&C, general banter and witty comments are appreciated.

EDIT: And yes, I just posted THREE pictures in a thread that says I only had one picture worth keeping. Well, one of the pictures wasn't from the same day. As for the other--I never said I didn't KEEP other pictures, just that none of them were WORTH keeping. :lol:

Nice shot, and interesting area. What's the name of the refuge?

It's called Rankin Bottoms; it's a TWRA site, near Douglas Dam. The area in the picture is a little cove area right next to where the French Broad and Nolichucky rivers converge. After Labor Day, TVA takes the water level in the lake down, and that cove becomes almost completely dry by winter. I've heard that in one day in the fall, as many as 125 different species of birds have been sighted.

It's called Rankin Bottoms; it's a TWRA site, near Douglas Dam. The area in the picture is a little cove area right next to where the French Broad and Nolichucky rivers converge. After Labor Day, TVA takes the water level in the lake down, and that cove becomes almost completely dry by winter. I've heard that in one day in the fall, as many as 125 different species of birds have been sighted.

Wow, now THAT would be the day to test out the shooting!!

Very nice! We have a refuge here for eagles and I have been there many times and I have yet to get this good of a shot of an eagle. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Very nice! We have a refuge here for eagles and I have been there many times and I have yet to get this good of a shot of an eagle. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Thanks, Dudley; I'm still working on the spectacular shots--about to get a longer lens, so maybe that will help. Or not. Won't hurt, though. ;)

It may only be one shot worth keeping, but oh what a shot that is! Well done, the gods have clearly rewarded the effort you put in.

Sharon, nice Osprey shot. I think the main problem with wildlife refuges is that no one tells the wildlife :lol: .

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back