What's new

Vehicle as a Blind

MontanaDave58 8

TPF Supporters
Joined
Mar 1, 2025
Messages
427
Reaction score
1,477
Location
Montana
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I broke my foot bone, so I've been shooting from a vehicle.
For water birds, I use Google Maps to find a small clear pond on the west edge of a gravel road.
The evening before I will do a drive by to see the potential for a morning shoot.
Then I arrive at least an hour before sunrise the next morning.
I drape a ghillie blanket over the open window my lens sticks out of.
That way a bird cannot detect my movement and I can see through the ghillie.
Since my vehicle is higher than than the water level, I try for reflections at sunrise.
An example from yesterday morning, drake Cinnamon Teal:
walk_on_water_resized.webp


Once the reflection potential is over, I head out for big game.
A vehicle slowing down typically spooks big game, while a stationary vehicle does not.
I try to park where there is a small hill outside the window so the subject is at eye level,
and I'm hundreds of meters ahead of the feeding direction of the animals.
A couple examples from yesterday morning: a bison calf, and a very pregnant pronghorn.
bisoncalf_resized.webp
prenant_pronghorn_resized.webp


Another nice aspect of shooting from a stationary vehicle is the ability to stay dry while shooting in a downpour or blizzard.
But keep the vehicle inside temperature the same as the outside to prevent heat haze problems!
 
Nice shots. The Cinnamon Teal is my favorite.
 
Amazing, well thought out work around! Would never suspect these were shot from the car at a drive up location. Good thinking on your part to keep busy while you’re recovering. I hope you’re on your way back to 100%!
 
I had a good morning yesterday.
I had a rented 600mm F4 lens which I was planning on taking to my spring trip to Glacier NP.
Started before sunrise waiting at the little pond...an hour later a pair of Northern Shovelers.
85091278.webp

Then parked next to an osprey nest, about 40 minutes later the male flew
in and sat on a fence post right outside the passenger window
( which was open with ghillie net).
30375518 (1).webp

Then stopped at my favorite Lazuli Bunting riparian area
and got a male Lazuli Bunting.
19353797.webp
 
Very nice - I guess you have to get up to take these - I hope your broken bone heals soon.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom