Five random photography questions I dont know answers to.

ksmattfish said:
You can get a "film sized" sensor in the 5D, but it's still a 2:3 aspect ratio, meaning it would make the same sized prints as the 10D or 35mm film.

Good example, but don't confuse size with shape. :)

Kent Frost said:
Good example, but don't confuse size with shape. :)

I wasn't. :) The post I was responding to seemed to suggest that there was a difference between the aspect ratio of a film frame (I assumed 35mm), and a DSLR sensor. Most DSLRs have an aspect ratio of 2:3, just like 35mm film.

ksmattfish said:
ISO stands for International Standards Organization.

Film emulsion is made up of silver halide crystals. The larger the crystals, the less light is needed to expose the film properly. Large crystals make larger grains of silver during development.

Tabular grain films (Tmax and Delta) have a flat crystal that exposes more of the surface area of the crystal to the light. This allows for the use of smaller crystals at the same ISO.

Haha, awesome, thanks. ^-^

Um, I'm still a little iffy on the crop factor since i've never actually had to make prints!! Can i just think of it as what my lens' focal lengths are x the factor? (ie 1.6 makes them have longer focal lengths?)

Innocence said:
Haha, awesome, thanks. ^-^

Um, I'm still a little iffy on the crop factor since i've never actually had to make prints!! Can i just think of it as what my lens' focal lengths are x the factor? (ie 1.6 makes them have longer focal lengths?)

Forget the crop factor, or read the article I posted. ;)

Don't think about focal lengths, stick a lens on your camera and look at the resulting image in your viewfinder.

Unless you've spent years working with 35mm film and you are spending all your time saying "aah, I need a 28mm lens to fit that building in" then it is irrelevant. Quite simply, a lens on a digital camera with an APS-C sized sensor has a smaller field of view than if it were on a 35mm film camera; however, it doesn't have any more zoom/focal length. Unless the numbers have a context for you already, it's utterly unimportant.

Rob

ROB!!!

Hey i think i get it haha.
So crop factor only affects...effectively...the lower bound on the focal range of your lense.

And and, the vignetting caused by very wide angle shots on full frames which doesnt happen on APS-C sensors is ok, cos you can manually crop it out urself since the APS crops it out already haha.

Ok thanks! Bye!

ksmattfish said:
ISO stands for International Standards Organization.

Film emulsion is made up of silver halide crystals. The larger the crystals, the less light is needed to expose the film properly. Large crystals make larger grains of silver during development.

Tabular grain films (Tmax and Delta) have a flat crystal that exposes more of the surface area of the crystal to the light. This allows for the use of smaller crystals at the same ISO.

VERY good explanation, Matt. I just want to add to the description of "proper exposure."

With all the variables in photography (like film speed, exposure time, development time, development temperature, etc.) it is necessary to establish a benchmark... a fixed point to which all this relates. Think of it as asking the question, "Is the water too warm?" Too warm for what? Cooking? Bathing? Drinking? Sooo.... in photography, the question, "Is the exposure too long?" begs additional questions. And now, the payoff... All the variables are gauged to tell us how to achieve GRAY. More specifically, 18% of the light.

So when reading light, the meter tells us how to achieve gray with the film we use, in the lighting we us, at the development we use, at the temperatures we use.

That's where you come in. You have to consider all the qualities that result from different films, ISO ratings, processing, etc. when you make an image.

Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back