Fixing flash pin dots in eyes

jaxx419

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can someone explain how I can fix this in photoshop elements or send me a link? I've tried looking online but I guess I'm not googling the right thing.

Thanks!!

PS - I'm sure there were things I could have done when taking the photos but this was my first time using flash as practice at an event and I didnt have any other equipment besides a Nikon SB 900 and my camera. Thanks!

Last edited:
Are you asking about red-eye?

I guess but they aren't red dots... They are white dots from flash. I can't get the "red eye" tool to fix it.

thats a catch light and you can clone stamp them out, but it is okay to have catch light from the flash. makes the eyes pop and unless you post a pic up and show what you are really trying to say it will be hard for anybody to help ou out in any way.

ewick said:
thats a catch light and you can clone stamp them out, but it is okay to have catch light from the flash. makes the eyes pop and unless you post a pic up and show what you are really trying to say it will be hard for anybody to help ou out in any way.

Pin lights and catchlights are different though. A picture would be much more helpful.

Pin lights are usually right in the center of the pupil. Clone tool, healing tool, match the color and paint over it.

ewick said:

Pin lights and catchlights are different though. A picture would be much more helpful.

Pin lights are usually right in the center of the pupil. Clone tool, healing tool, match the color and paint over it.

You are totally correct. Thats what i meant to say. However, with out a photo we could both be talking about something totally different. I say post a photo but yes, clone stamp or color match and paint over sounds right to me.

Thanks... These are definitely pin dots and not catching the light in a flattering way... I'd post pics but I don't have permission from the group. They are photos from a bridal shower my friend asked me to take pics at.

I'll try again cloning them out... I tried that too buy maybe I need to zoom in more.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
jaxx419 said:
Thanks... These are definitely pun dots and not catching the light in a flattering way... I'd post pics but I do t have permission from the group. They are photos from a bridal shower my friend asked me to take pics at.

I'll try again cloning them out... I tried that too buy maybe I need to zoom in more.

Thanks!!!

I don't think you need permission but...you could always crop the eyes and post just that.

I will post before and hopefully an after if I can get it right tomorrow. I don't have Internet at my apt... Hence all the typos from my iPhone!
Thanks again!

I'll need to post a pic for this one tomorrow.. But after I fix the flash pin points in this one photo the eye pupils just look way too big and black. Maybe this is a case where they look better before?... Will post tomorrow.

When if fix the flash pin dots in this photo her pupils look huge and it makes her eyes look weird.. IMO.

$cropeyes.jpg

I'm not sure what the purpose would be of removing them? Its pretty obvious based on everything in that image that you used a flash (her hair is reflecting just as much light as her eyes) so removing the white spots would just make her eyes look unnatural.

Eyes.jpg

I used the paintbrush tool on "darken" mode and made them a bit less obvious. But like I said; you can still see the flash.

Thanks. I've never used flash so I don't know what is "technically" correct.

If you were to remove them entirely, than her eyes would have a dull and unnatural appearance. There are supposed to be catchlights in a person's eyes, even if they are little pin pricks like here. If you want to, you can tone then down a little by selecting around them and darkening them. The eyes are fine, but the exposure of the image is not; it is over-exposed, which washed out a lot of detail and colors in the image. I darkened the image using curves (which I am unsure if Elements has or not) but it still looks blown out to me. Digital is a good bit less forgiving than film when it comes to overesposure.

$eyes.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I agree the eyes look unnatural when filled in. I shot RAW so I will check the exposure, it wasn't blown or over exposed when I shot it but I did mess with the white balance because she was dark looking from the lights and she is naturally more pale. I'm sure I adjusted the exposure also. I know just posting a piece of the photo doesn't help much but I will look at this... I have photoshop elements.

Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back