Flare problem on night landscape photo

mountainjunkie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been trying to break in my new setup (D750 and Sigma 14-24 Art) with some night photos and I’m having trouble with lens flare.

Only attempts were last night and tonight (albeit much different locations), both with a very bright moon which I suspect is part of the problem. Unfortunately I deleted the couple from last night (in which the flare spot humorously looked exactly like a UFO when zoomed in). The first pic below is unedited at 14mm, with the moon on my right out of frame. The flare is quite obvious:
DSC_0048.jpg

The larger streak to the upper right is not present in all of the pics, but the smaller disc-shaped flare is present in all of the shots I took from this angle, and was present in the couple from last night, but the moon was on my left side and much further out of frame on those. (And the flare much was also much less pronounced)

I’m confused. From what I’ve read, part of me thought the issue was caused or exacerbated by a spot on the lens as the flare when present is close to the same area in the frame, but I can’t see anything on the lens. In addition, tonight when I turned my back to the moon and took a few shots the flare spot was non-existent. The lens comes with a fixed hood. And, when zooming into 24mm the flare was gone as well...

Here is a shot at 24mm (edited in LR but the flare was nowhere to be seen even beforehand)
45994558621_9fa4a4e25b_o.jpg

Looks like at the widest setting you have some light streaking across the front of the lens, any nightlights near? If not then its likely the moonlight, probably could be corrected by moving slightly and recomposing the shot with the camera/lens at a slightly different angle to the moon.

flare when present is close to the same area in the frame, but I can’t see anything on the lens

Just a stab in the dark, but could it be dust on the sensor? That can cause some strange things, only takes a couple mins to clean, and should be a regular maintenance item on your camera.

flare when present is close to the same area in the frame, but I can’t see anything on the lens

Just a stab in the dark, but could it be dust on the sensor? That can cause some strange things, only takes a couple mins to clean, and should be a regular maintenance item on your camera.

Didn't think of the sensor dust spot, but to me it looks like it's streaking (in a none naked way) from top right to just left of the mountain top, Has to be flare no? But fully agree, sensor cleaning should always be standard maintenance.

remove the UV filter.

Brand new camera but I’ll check it out.

remove the UV filter.

Not using a filter.

Then definitely the angle of the light source (Moon or lamp) coming across the lens, I assume the bulbous front is extended more at the widest setting which is why you're not seeing it at the 24mm...?

An extreme example of what I think you're seeing.. I have however, used this and enhanced it in post, but SOOC is was clearly visible, I just liked the effect of it for this shot...

Enchanted_Tunnel.jpg

remove the UV filter.

Not using a filter.

Then definitely the angle of the light source (Moon or lamp) coming across the lens, I assume the bulbous front is extended more at the widest setting which is why you're not seeing it at the 24mm...?

That’s what I was thinking. Tried turning over probably a 90 degree angle and it didn’t go away completely until I had my back pretty much to the moon.

Guess I didn’t expect this much of an issue but it was my first time using the lens in that kind of lighting.

On the plus side you could "polish" that out in post in PhotoShop or LR should be easy enough as there isn't too much detail around the areas. Test it again, you really shouldn't have so much of an issue with 14mm against the light of the moon. You should see the "flare" in the live view, for the above shot, I used live view to purposely make sure I got a massive streak across but a few degrees up down left or right and it was gone.. I very much doubt it's dust due to uniformity in which the flare shows , and a scratch on the front element shouldn't cause such an issue. Just get into Live view if you see it again, hike ISO so you can clearly see the scene in live view and then rotate a little to see if it is a specific light source causing it..

On the plus side you could "polish" that out in post in PhotoShop or LR should be easy enough as there isn't too much detail around the areas. Test it again, you really shouldn't have so much of an issue with 14mm against the light of the moon. You should see the "flare" in the live view, for the above shot, I used live view to purposely make sure I got a massive streak across but a few degrees up down left or right and it was gone.. I very much doubt it's dust due to uniformity in which the flare shows , and a scratch on the front element shouldn't cause such an issue. Just get into Live view if you see it again, hike ISO so you can clearly see the scene in live view and then rotate a little to see if it is a specific light source causing it..

I’ll play around with it some more next opportunity. There’s a winter storm moving in this afternoon so I don’t think I’ll have much moonlight tonight :).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Looks and sounds like it was just your orientation to the moon combined with some characteristics of that lens. I have encountered this many times while shooting the night sky with ultra wides. I have owned many ultra wide lenses and some handle this sort of thing better than others.

If you find yourself in this situation again and are not in a position to recompose or simply don’t want to you can try using your thumb a small stick or something similar the block the source of the flare in one shot then take a second shot without blocking and blending together in post.

Here’s A link to what I’m talking about. It uses the sun in this example but same concept.
How to Eliminate Ghosting and Flare in Landscape Photography - Photography Life

Although I’d say if it’s not bad it’s easy enough to just clone out in post.

I’d say there is nothing wrong with your camera, lens, or sensor.

Last edited:
My guess is the moon was just outside the frame in that photo.

Any bright light source can do this. Every lens has flare. Even lenses where people swear they don't have flare... have flare. Just use a light source strong enough or take an image long enough... it WILL eventually show up regardless of lens. Some lenses resist better than others, but they all do it. Using a lens hood or anything to block the light source from shining on the front of the lens will help prevent it.

Don't write-off your lens just because you saw some flare... adapt and find ways to protect the lens so it doesn't ruin your photos.

Most reactions

Back