Flash and light meter for Rebel XT.

Weaving Wax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm starting a photography course in January and I'm looking into getting a flash and a light meter. What would be compatible with the rebel XT?

The back of your camera manual will give the compatible flash info. If you no longer have the manual visit www.canonusa.com

A good entry level digital light meter is the Sekonic L-308S. Many prefer the Sekonic L-358.

Can't say much on the flash compatibility...I'm an evil Nikon shooter, but I will give a big :thumbup: on the Sekonic L-308s meter. It's a nice entry level digital meter, reads to a tenth of a stop, and is usually bang on...I occasionally have to make a 1/3 stop adjustment from the reading.

Is there any specific E-TTL speedlites I should get?

A flash meter doesn't really need to be compatible with anything...it just needs to read a flash. As long you your camera has a manual mode (it does) you will be OK.
I'd suggest looking at the Sekonic L308s or L358.

Technically, you don't need a flash meter but if you want to learn how to use flash well, it's a valuable tool.

When it comes to flashes, you can look at 'dedicated' or non-dedicated flashes. A dedicated flash is one that works with your camera for things like flash metering (E-TTL). This is basically an 'auto' mode for your flash metering. There are other benefits to a dedicated flash, but that's the big one.

A non-dedicated flash will either have it's own on-board metering or it will need to be used manually. The biggest benefit is that non dedicated flashes are a lot cheaper.

A good dedicated flash would be the Canon 430EX or the 580EX. A good (& cheap) non-dedicated flash would be something like THIS.

Canon speedlight 430ex II or 580ex II. The 430ex II I think goes for bout 250.00 and the 580exII is 449.99 or cheaper at other places. Read bout there features both. Stick with those flashes. There wroth it in the long run.

Thanks! I'll look into those!

Oh and would these flashes work with an EOS650?

They should work, but I don't think they will have all the functionality they would have if used on a modern EOS camera.

HERE is the 'EOS Flash Bible'....if the info is somewhere, it's in there.

They should work, but I don't think they will have all the functionality they would have if used on a modern EOS camera.

HERE is the 'EOS Flash Bible'....if the info is somewhere, it's in there.

Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back