What's new

Flash Bracket

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
9,331
Reaction score
2,724
Location
San Jose, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How many of you use a flash bracket for event photography? Good idea or cumbersome nuisance? I've seen them run priced over $200 and under $50. Any advice or links welcomed!

Also links to your favorite modifiers. ;)
 
nobody?
 
I don't use them for event work myself, but for macro work - however you might find more answers (better worded than I can give) if you just generally search on the topic of "offcamera flash" and the reasonings behind using it - becauase the reasons are the same no matter if its a bug, portrait or event you are shooting.


I can however warn you about cheap brackets; there are two kinds. Solid, good old style ones that are cheap only because of their age, whilst being very stable and well built; the second kind is the cheap newer models which are cheap because they are made of substandard materials to a weaker design - these might be attractive, but can be more pain than pleasure as they will have looser fittings, more wobble and the like.
 
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I do understand the reasoning behind off-cam flash and that's why I was hoping someone could point me to a decent piece of hardware. I never buy cheap, I buy quality for the best price I can find ;)

Brand names or specific features I should look for would help. For sure one that allowed me to shoot in portrait and transition to landscape quickly is important to me.
 
Dont do it. Really, it just bring the flash off your camera just a tiny bit. Not worth it. Plus when you bounce it, it doesnt matter that much.
 
Hi I photograph weddings and used to use a Stroboframe and my Q flash. It actually allowed me to "flip" the flash to remain above the camera, yet off a bit and still rotate for portrait/landscape as needed. I used it for almost 3 years. The two downsides I found were 1) with QFlash was pretty heavy over time and I developed some elbow problems (go figure); and using a tripod. I attached my tripod quick release plate to my 70-200mm lens; and when I would want to rotate the camera for vertical shot, I had to make sure once the flash was "flipped" that the who apparatus was balanced on the tripod. If I had to walk toward my wedding group to adjust poses, I would be super nervous about the stability due to the weight balancing on the tripod unsupervised.

More due to the tendonitis in my elbow, I have reduced the weight of my camera/flash by shooting with my 580EXII flash and added a DEMB flash diffuser. This seems to be working nicely for what I am looking for. There is also a manufacturer called...Custom Bracket I believe, that I toyed with but did not buy. Hope that helps some.

Tamara
 
Never used them myself (apart from my good old Metz 45CT4 when I started out all those years ago!:lol:) I use my flash on-camera with a simple omni bounce, does exactly what I want it to do.
 
Thanks for all the responses.


Joe, I checked out those links, good deal, thank you!
 
I often use a flash bracket while shooting weddings. I used it all the time, for a couple seasons, then I didn't use it for a while, now I'm back to using it again.

The main purpose of using the flash bracket, is so that the flash is centred over the lens in both portrait and landscape orientation. I have experimented with several flash accessories, most of which are meant to be used while bouncing the flash. The problem is that without a bracket, the flash is still off to the side of the lens when the camera is vertical...and even when bouncing, you can still get the dreaded side-shadow.

There are two main types of flash bracket that keep the flash above the lens. A flip bracket and a camera rotate bracket. I've never used a camera rotate type, so I can't say how well they work. The bracket that I use, is a Stroboframe Press-T. I choose the Press-T bracket because it's made so that you keep both hands on the camera, just as if the bracket wasn't there. I guess, that with most brackets, you hold the handle with one hand and activate the AF/shutter with the other. But with both hands on the camera, I can still use the zoom/focus rings on the lens.

There are certainly pros & cons. The pro is that you can always keep the flash above the lens, throwing the shadows directly behind and below your subject. The con is that it makes for a big heavy rig...and that can be a major concern while shooting a long event. I use two camera bags, on is configured so that I can drop in, as one unit, the camera with lens, bracket & flash. That way, it's always ready to go.
 
A fairly tall bracket, like the StroboFrame Rotary Link style, allows you to keep the flash quite high above the camera, and to keep the flash centered when the camera is rotated. Due to the elevation of the flash, between eight and 13 inches, it allows you to shoot at long indoor distances without fear of redeye, and it positions the flash to keep shadows down and behind.This is an entirely different type of "flash bracket" than the new, cheap-o $29 Chinese cheapies, which do very little. A quality flash, fitted with something like the Norman brand 5-inch reflector and a diffuser sock gives incredibly beautiful lighting when used on a tall bracket. The advice being given in this thread varies widely, based on experiences and actual products in mind. The really cheap, simple, "T" type brackets that sell for $29 or so are in an entirelty different class than the big, tall, expensive brackets from Stroboframe or others.
 
I use brackets for both events and in-studio portraits. My reasons for it:
1. Adds an extra GRIP in the camera and doesn't put splits the stress b/n both hands.
2. For in-studio stuff, It adds more comfortable grip when shooting vertical (portraits).
3. Events - when ttl cord isn't acting up, flash further away from camera adds a nice feature plus flipping and rotating the head gives me availability of 'off-camera' light (in a sense).
One bad though, those darn ttl cords drop like bugs on pesticides. :D
 
Do you have a bracket recommendation IgsEMT? What mfg of TTL cord are you using?
 
I have one that is similar to this one BUT its over 10yrs old. Stroboframe Quick Flip 350 Flash bracket

I'm using Nikon SC29 Cord, they run about $80. Brakes often though. I went through 15 in the last 3 yrs. I only that # b/c last time called my account manager at BH, she asked me if I was selling them. After few mins convo, its a continues problem b/n heavy shooters - cords crap out.
I tried few generic cords, but it was waste of $. Nikon's lasted 5-6 jobs, generics 1-2 jobs.
Oh and before anyone says anything about me not being careful, I take batter care of my gear then ANYTHING ELSE. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom