Flash Diffuser

Try the same experiment, only with a human subject. You'll see a huge difference.

Try with the flash straight on for both photos, then do a 45 degree shot with
both photos. It makes for some pretty nice light when working with faces and skin.

These Stofen diffusers are meant to be used at a 45 degree angle to the subject and not straight on, your output is cut down by the diffuser though so compensation is required, its best to take several test shots to get it right before setting out on a job with it.

mysteryscribe said:
[...] Mine i know is less analytical and more antidotal. probably not a word. [...]

I think you mean 'anecdotal'. :wink:

markc said:
I found a how-to for making your own flash soft-box.
http://www.studiolighting.net/low-cost-flash-mounted-softbox/

Excellent find, mark.
Looking at the backgrounds in the demo pix at the bottom it seems to suggest that diffuser costs between 1/2 and 1 stop of light.

A [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM"]D-I-Y bounce card[/ame] (<– click!) is of course even simpler . . .

Mark has the right idea. Diffusers don't really provide soft lighting. What provides that is the difference in size between the light source and the subject. The larger the light source relative to the subject, the softer the light. Bouncing the flash from a ceiling does that, as an example. You can't really to it outdoors, however.

The best thing you can buy for your flash unit is an extension cord. That will allow you to get the flash gun away from the camera where you will get more modeling and more pleasing images. When I shoot an outdoor event like that, I just keep the flash gun in a pocket of my vest with the cord connecting it to the camera body. When I want a flash shot, I just extend my arm holding the flash unit to get it away from the camera and make the exposure with the other had that holds the camera. I've always done it that way. It's a big improvement from on-camera flash.

fmw said:
[...] The best thing you can buy for your flash unit is an extension cord. [...]
An even better thing you can buy for your flash is if you go wireless!

fmw is right. Using off-camera flash improves modelling variables ginormously.

For mobility, I have a 'portable studio' that basically consists of 3 wireless 5600D flashguns on tripods, a 38" and a 48" silver/white reflector. Gives me plenty 'oomph' and endlessly variable possibilities, including faking a 'softbox' and balancing shadows. Easily fits a medium-sized suitcase.
I mostly use the camera unsupported. Flash freezes motion anyway, and it keeps me much 'free-er' to move around, direct the scene, try different viewpoints and angles, or adjust the light.

Next on my wishlist is a 20" MacBookPro immediately displaying every shot fullscreen. That'll need to be wireless too, somehow. And not just wireless, but superwide broadband wireless, to accomodate my 15MB exposures (and growing). That may be a while!

I made one of these
Foam3.jpg

for about $4....works great.

Got the idea here

Big Mike said:
I made one of these for about $4....works great.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely. I'm a fan of those too, Mike. But they're primarily used with [U]on[/U]-camera flash.

Well sure, that's what I made mine for. Although, I could certainly use it on a remote flash unit as well. Actually, I use this on camera for fill (to control the darkness of the shadow) and use my Alien Bee as the main light.

I even took a spare piece of the black foam and made a snoot for another small flash unit that I'll use as a hair or background light with an optical trigger. I'm thinking I could make another diffuser like this one (but bent more forward...to use for the background light.

I just read today that a coffee filter works as a diffuser!! I haven't tried it. Has anybody?

A coffee filter should work...but it would block a fair amount of light. I've used tissue before with good results.

loves_guitar said:
I just read today that a coffee filter works as a diffuser!! I haven't tried it. Has anybody?
Why don't you? So you can see for yourself if and how it works. Then you can tell us!
The proof of the pudding is in the eating, after all.
Of course a coffee filter is an expensive purchase....

Most reactions

Back