Flash Equipment Recommendations

AllanK88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks,

I'm about to venture into the world of flash/studio photography and as such I'm looking to buy some basic equipment. My current camera is a Canon 550D.

I'm looking to get a speedlight flash and it must have the following:

- HSS

- AF Assist

- TTL & E-TTL

- Test function

And:

- Wireless Trigger (because my camera does not have radio wireless - correct?)

Any recommendations? My price range is around 150-200.

Allan

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You want all the bells and whistles out of a flash for "basic" price -- gotta go third party.

I highly recommend the flashpoint R2 system sold through Adorama. They’re affordable and the triggers can also trigger flash points more powerful studio strobes if you ever want to expand your system.

I own two of the lithium ion speed lights, two xplor 600 monolights, and two of the radio triggers. All of it works perfectly and has never given me an issue. The lithium ion batteries last for much longer than a set of AAs.

Speed light with li-ion battery

Speed light with AA batteries (to save money up front)

Transmitter

Thanks, Destin :)

While I have you here, I'm also looking for a beginners light kit.
More specifically I'm looking for the following:

- 3 x stands (1 for my flashlight, 1 for a reflector and 1 for my camera)
- 1 x multi purpose reflector (small)
- 1 x octagon soft box with grid and diffuser and with silver reflector on the inside (max 60cm)
- accessories: flashlight bracket, adjustable arm for the reflector and other small accessories needed for my setup

My price range is once again rather small so I'm looking for third-party equipment :)

Allan

- 1 x octagon soft box with grid and diffuser and with silver reflector on the inside (max 60cm)
- accessories: flashlight bracket, adjustable arm for the reflector and other small accessories needed for my setup

My price range is once again rather small so I'm looking for third-party equipment :)

Allan

Cheap third party grip gear doesn’t usually hold up super well over time; but it’s good to learn on if you aren’t subjecting it to heavy use.

You’ll need a tripod for your camera and even a beginner model that’s decent is $200-300. Anything less is almost not worth the effort or money.

Lightstands/Reflector holder - this would be a decent entry level stand to learn with.

I’d reccomend starting with a shoot through umbrella rather than an octabox. They’re cheaper and more general purpose for learning. Flashpoint ones look to run about $10.

You’d then need a speed light/umbrella holder, probably another $10.

3 in 1 round reflectors are cheap and sold everywhere. They’re all basically the same.

Sorry for the lack of links; I’m on my phone and Adorama’s site is malfunctioning for me currently.

I would agree with that most third party equipment will not last as long but it is good to learn on.

You can find some nice Manfrotto tripods in the $150 range on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MK...13&refinements=p_89:Manfrotto,p_36:1253506011

I wouldn't really use or buy an umbrella it doesn't shape light at all and you can get similar affects out of bed sheet, frosted shower curtains, frosted Plexiglas...etc.

Softboxes and Octaboxes let you shape and focus light where you want it to go then adding grids just increases the focus.

I also wouldn't really buy a reflector, I used foam core boards as reflectors, White/silver/gold.

I wouldn't really use or buy an umbrella it doesn't shape light at all and you can get similar affects out of bed sheet, frosted shower curtains, frosted Plexiglas...etc.

which is nice light...

umbrella light has a shape (round shape with a gradual falloff), but it's hard to control the spill -- which depending on what you're going for--could be better than a softbox, which is very directional.

Last edited:

which is nice light...

umbrella light has a shape (round shape with a gradual falloff), but it's hard to control the spill -- which depending on what you're going for--could be better than a softbox, which is very directional.

Not to mention that the best way to learn off camera flash is to follow the tutorials on strobist.com

And most of those revolve around the shoot through umbrella.

An umbrella is a good starting point because it’s hard to screw up. You get nice light out of it pretty easily.

More directional and specialized modifiers should be added to your skill set once you’ve mastered an umbrella.

+1 on a decent tripod.
It does not have to be an EXPENSIVE tripod. I got mine used, off Craig's List for a decent price.
But you want a STEADY and durable one, that is easy to adjust, and that is tall enough (with the center column down).

What are you shooting?
60cm/24inches is on the small side for a softbox, unless you position it pretty close to the single subject.

With umbrellas and softboxes, in general, bigger is better, for lighting. BUT, bigger = clumsy, and it can really get in the way, in an average size room. As much as I wanted a 60 inch umbrella, it was too big and clumsy to deal with. So there is a balance to reach between size for light and size for bulky/clumsy.

Allan

third party equipment is fine, start with a shoot thru or reflective umbrella, off-camera flash and stands then build from that
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Thanks for everyones input :D It has helped

I've come to the decision to buy a 60cm softbox/octagon for my first light :)
I've found two options:
1: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HWAMART-Um...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=4KGFPSY11VNT9EZZ9Z4A&th=1
2. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collapsibl...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=6TC51KDNWM7P8HR4F230&th=1

And here is the speedlight bracket I'm considering:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-Mult...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DQTGNFKNKEDPGNBC0J6P

Will I also need this or is the above speedlight bracket enough:
https://www.amazon.com/Anwenk-Flash...rd_wg=Ej1xD&psc=1&refRID=D1BBKHXMYBBC7YHQMRXY

For the speedlight and trigger I will go with this:
Flashpoint V860II Speedlight Kit

2 of the following light stands:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Profession...8&qid=1514667855&sr=8-3&keywords=light+stands

And for my camera tripod:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Albott-178...ords=camera+tripod&refinements=p_72:419153031

What do you guys think about all the above equipment? Am I missing something? :)

Allan

Most reactions

Back