Flash for a Nikon d7000

Charliedelta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a nikon d7000 and would like to get one or two external flashes. Now budget is an issue. I saw the sb-900 and similar ones by nikon but they are all too expensive.

I would like to use the flash off camera, and that's the most important feature for me (along with power off course). I am not sure of what it's called, basically, I want the camera to trigger the flash (or the flashes if i get two) without any wires, while I keep the flash/es on a stand next to the subject.

Which third party model would you recommend? Would I need additional equipment to do what I want?

oh, I would like to spend less than $200 for each flash.

Thanks

I believe Nissin makes flashes with Nikon CLS capabilities. ebay has sellers that offer 3rd party triggers. I've used them on occasion (friends asked to test them out) and for the price... pretty good. Don't expect to be 100 feet away and fire them off.
On the same note, there are 3rd party flashes that are basic and w/o capability of head rotations (i.e. Nissin, Metz) that might be w/in your $.
Vivitar older models w/ hot shoe adapters might run under $150. Newer Vivitars are pretty decent (for the price)... just places them on cheaper hotshoe radio slaves and you have an OCF. I have a Vivitar 283 and 285 that are my go-to OCF 99% of the time. Although recycling time at higher power SUX on both of them, the quality of light (and round head) is much better then small rectangular of the modern flashes.

Yongnuo is often recommended as great cost friendly off camera flash units. Although I'm not positive if they're Canon compatible only or for both Canon and Nikons. But worth looking into! I've used some of them with my friends' Canon cameras and they work amazingly.

Yongnuo is often recommended as great cost friendly off camera flash units. Although I'm not positive if they're Canon compatible only or for both Canon and Nikons. But worth looking into! I've used some of them with my friends' Canon cameras and they work amazingly.

The YongNuo 560 series are manual speedlites and can work both with Canon and Nikon cameras. The 565 series are available either e-TTL/i-TTL ergo are brand specific but still having manual capabilities.

So you have about $400 to spend right now, just go buy a Nikon flash. Learn and master lighting with one flash and a reflector. By the time you've got that nailed you'll likely have enough saved up for a second one.

Not that the inexpensive 3rd party flashes are bad by default put there more stories of broken ones than with the Nikons.

I've had a SB600 and a SB800 for almost 9 years, one or the other, often both used practically every time I use one of my Nikon's. They have never failed to operate as designed.

(BTW I've had some potato masher Metz's, and some Quantums for longer and they too still work. Those are expensive for digital.)

YONGNUO YN568EX YN 568EX TTL High Speed 1 8000 Flash Speedlite for Nikon F403 | eBay

xhOQt.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
oh, I would like to spend less than $200 for each flash.

This to me implies that you would buy two so that means under $400. That would be enough for one sb700. Which I own and is an excellent flash. It will function in slave mode and additionally you can control it with your D7000. It's $327 on amazon right now.

IF you have a SOLID grasp on flash photography then you could jump to the Yougnuo flashes.

Here is what happened to me. I first listened to others that said "Yougnuo flashes are great and cheap.... blah blah blah" so I bought 2 of them. I knew nothing about flash and got really frustrated. I then picked up an sb700 and it was so much easier. I learned off the sb700 and can now use my Yougnuos.
This is my experience yours may be better. Good luck!:wink:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I believe Nissin makes flashes with Nikon CLS capabilities. ebay has sellers that offer 3rd party triggers. I've used them on occasion (friends asked to test them out) and for the price... pretty good. Don't expect to be 100 feet away and fire them off.
On the same note, there are 3rd party flashes that are basic and w/o capability of head rotations (i.e. Nissin, Metz) that might be w/in your $.
Vivitar older models w/ hot shoe adapters might run under $150. Newer Vivitars are pretty decent (for the price)... just places them on cheaper hotshoe radio slaves and you have an OCF. I have a Vivitar 283 and 285 that are my go-to OCF 99% of the time. Although recycling time at higher power SUX on both of them, the quality of light (and round head) is much better then small rectangular of the modern flashes.

thanks for the answer.I saw a couple of interesting vivitar and bower. The question now is, would I need further equipment? I assumed that if they were CLS capable, they would receive and process the signal from the camera, and then shoot. Am I wrong?

That depends on what you want to light, and how you want to light it. Based on your questions... I would recommend one flash to start with, and learn to use that. Two light sources can complicate things.... and based on your questions, you don't even sound like you know what you need yet.

My experience. I have a SB700, 2xYongnuo 565EX's, and use of a SB910 as well as my R1C1 macro flash kit. Your D7000 flip flash will work as a wireless flash commander and will trigger the SB700/SB910/SB600/SB800 Several Metz and Nissin Models and the Yongnuo 560EX and 565EX. The 560EX will only slave TTL and will not work TTL from the hotshoe. (go figure). The SB910 will accommodate every possible flash function of your camera, including a 3 group commander function (A,B, and C) (you flip flash only gives you A and B). The SB700 is about 1 stop weaker and only has a 2 group commander (A and B) function along with all the other slave functions. The Yongnuo yn-565EX will do all the slave functions but will not act as a commander. The yn-565EX is about as powerful as the SB910 but the build quality is inconsistent. The 1st one I got worked perfectly but the 2nd one would not communicate with my camera properly. I sent it back to the seller and they swapped it out. I got the replacement today and it seems to work fine. With all these great flashes at my disposal, my go to speedlight is still my SB700.

I guess you might get confused from the detailed explanation from the PROs. My simple advice, stick to Nikon and if budget is tight buy used ones from known circle.
But dont venture into other brands and get into more complications
:)

I personally never understood what the fuss was over the fancy auto exposure features of new flashes. Are your lighting conditions that erratic? Because mine aren't, I never use anything but manual mode. The auto modes are more likely to mess things up than help.

So if that's the case why not save a bundle and buy an older pro flash like the sb28 or sb80dx?

Full disclosure: this is coming someone that still has a closet full of flahbulbs because I've never like the look of strobes.

Stick with the Nikon...The SB700 is a great unit, and you'll still be using it in years to come. If price is a factor then you'll want to know that your spending it wisely. Cheaper strobes may well do the job, but will they still do the job in a years time?
I have had cheaper strobes in the past, even though't i'd treat myself to a more expensive Metz unit, but only after i'd bought my SB700 did i realise what that extra cash was for. build quality, reliability, total compatibility, and it just looks good.
I often shoot in clubs, birthday parties etc, My SB700 has never failed to fire (did i mention reliability) I can shoot over 500 shots a night, the SB700 nails it every time.

It's really too bad you can't budget a little more and get the SB-910. You would be amazed at what that flash can do.

I should be selling them.

I know some stores in there used department have used sb-800. Along with that and a reflector, you should be fine for the moment.

Most reactions

Back