Flash gun?

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dumb question I should know the answer to by now........................

When people refer to a "hotshoe mounted flash gun"............ are they just talking about what *I* would call a flash? :lol:

I've heard this term several times, and it doth confuses me. And when I google it... all I come up with are.............. regular ol' flashes.

Flash Gun = United Kingdom term for a battery-powered electronic flash unit.

Just as they call alternating wall current "mains".

And the way that they add an extra letter to the word aluminum, which they call al-u-minnnn-e-um...and the way Overread writes "whilst" instead of "while"...

Whenever I use or hear the term in use it typically means a regular hotshoe flash - normally like a 430 or 580 series type design. Its normally reserved for that rough shape of flash as opposed to say flatter flashes such as those 270 series.

Whenever I use or hear the term in use it typically means a regular hotshoe flash - normally like a 430 or 580 series type design. Its normally reserved for that rough shape of flash as opposed to say flatter flashes such as those 270 series.

Gotchya. Thanks. :sillysmi:

Flash Gun = United Kingdom term for a battery-powered electronic flash unit.

The dude I was talking to was from Canada... so that might be the source of my confusion right there. :lol:

Two different regions... two different names. :sillysmi:

CANADA is just a little bit removed from British dominion...Canada is Great Britain WEST...lol...

Seriously...Canada's timeline of independence

I love the way this forum corrects me every time when I write COLOUR. According to the TPF US spell checked this is a spelling mistake which I always have to do a double check! :lol:

CANADA is just a little bit removed from British dominion...Canada is Great Britain WEST...lol...

I love the way this forum corrects me every time when I write COLOUR. According to the TPF US spell checked this is a spelling mistake which I always have to do a double check! :lol:

Josh, if you accidentally got payed twice in a week--would you tell the business office that you had received a double cheque???

Josh, if you accidentally got payed twice in a week--would you tell the business office that you had received a double cheque???

My BAD!! (See a good ole US expression thrown in for you). I just realised 'Double Check' is an outrageously english expression aswell. ;)

But in response to your question.. if I had the luck of being paid twice in a week, there's no way I would be asking anyone to do a Double Cheque! I would be writing out a cheque to Nikon instead to purchase a brand new 85 1.4 AFS-G lens. :thumbup:

Not sure, but if he accidentally got PAID twice in a week, there could be some issues...

Query: Should I have posted this? Probably not, but I think Derrell knows that I'm just busting his chops. He can hang...

J-dub...zOMG...I think I am following you into the beginnings of senility!!! lol

Actually, I used the term "payed" as a UK dialectical alternative to the more-modern "paid"...In was kind of teasing Nikon_Josh about those old-timey UK spellings on things like "cheques" and "colours"..."payed" is a pretty old-timey use of the word that caries a connotation that "somebody" (the purser) "pays out" the cheques...it refers back to the act of the paying-out of the coins, rope, etc...

And Josh--we DO use the term double check here in the US of A...usually with regard to doubly-verifying our work or writings, figures, facts, etc.

I remember reading my grandfather's oldest books...crazy phrases like the "aerodrome", phaeton cars, luncheon for lunch, aeroplanes, etc.,etc..

J-dub...zOMG...I think I am following you into the beginnings of senility!!! lol

Actually, I used the term "payed" as a UK dialectical alternative to the more-modern "paid"...In was kind of teasing Nikon_Josh about those old-timey UK spellings on things like "cheques" and "colours"..."payed" is a pretty old-timey use of the word that caries a connotation that "somebody" (the purser) "pays out" the cheques...it refers back to the act of the paying-out of the coins, rope, etc...

And Josh--we DO use the term double check here in the US of A...usually with regard to doubly-verifying our work or writings, figures, facts, etc.

I remember reading my grandfather's oldest books...crazy phrases like the "aerodrome", phaeton cars, luncheon for lunch, aeroplanes, etc.,etc..

Ummm, we still use those words. Probably because we speak English rather than A-merican. :lol:

One americanism I absolutely hate is the word disoriented (if that's how you spell it?) when it should be disorientated. You don't orient something - the Orient is the Far East - your orientate it so how can you disorient something? Urgh!!!

Whilst this is accurate, the post would have been immensely more entertaining if you would have used the word whilst.

English? I speak 'Murican!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back