Flash Newb question, Mixing flashes

kainu7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all, I am fairly new to using flashes and have recently purchased the Nikon SB-700. I now see I can buy some LumoPro LP160 or vivitar 285hv for a heck of a lot cheaper than a set of SB-700. Can I mix these up and use them all together? I would like to have 3-4 flashes so I can try the "strobist" thing from the strobist blog.

What exactly would I need? just some remote triggers?

Thank you for the help, i must be missing something... Just cant seem to wrap my head around it...

What camera do you have?

Yep... remote triggers is all you need. The 285s have a built in optical slave, BUT that relys on line of sight with another flash. Your best bet will be to pick up a set of radio triggers (Cactus triggers are generally well regarded as an entry-level unit) and you'll be off to the races. Ideally, one transmitter, and a receiver for each flash you have. Be aware though that once you put your SB700 on a remote trigger, you'll no longer be able to use any of it's TTL functionality. That's not a bad thing; for most flash work, manual flash is better.

My D7000 - I have pocketwizard triggers and use an SB600 and 2 vivitar 285's

Yep... remote triggers is all you need. The 285s have a built in optical slave, BUT that relys on line of sight with another flash. Your best bet will be to pick up a set of radio triggers (Cactus triggers are generally well regarded as an entry-level unit) and you'll be off to the races. Ideally, one transmitter, and a receiver for each flash you have. Be aware though that once you put your SB700 on a remote trigger, you'll no longer be able to use any of it's TTL functionality. That's not a bad thing; for most flash work, manual flash is better.

I have two 285HV's. Did I purchase the version without the optical slave, because I've never known the 285's to have an optical slave. The LP160 does, but not the 285HV.

Note true if one uses a trigger that supports TTL, the functionality will be retained. My Pocketwizard TT5 does.

I have two 285HV's. Did I purchase the version without the optical slave, because I've never known the 285's to have an optical slave. The LP160 does, but not the 285HV.
Concur. The 285HV does not have an optical trigger.
Apologies... for some reason I thought it did. I stand corrected.

Note true if one uses a trigger that supports TTL, the functionality will be retained. My Pocketwizard TT5 does.
True; again, apologies. I [perhaps foolishly] assumed that from the tone of his post, the OP probably wasn't going to be spending in excess of $1000 on triggers alone.

Thank you for the replies, Ill start looking at them and comparing now.

One other question though, What would I be gain from using say ALL Nikon flashes such as two sb-700's and a sb-900? those 3 flashes would cost me like ~1200 vs 3 vivitar for ~300

One other question though, What would I be gain from using say ALL Nikon flashes...
Very little other than an empty wallet. If you're going to be doing strobist work, then you're almost certainly going to be shooting manual flash. Pretty much any flash with a manual output control will do the job. The Vivitars are well regarded, but I would suggest checking out Craig's List for used Sunpak hammerheads, the 3 & 500 series are excellent. LOTS of light, fully adjustable down to 1/64, both AC and battery operation, and have a built-in 1/4-20 mounting point in the bottom.

Thank you for the replies, Ill start looking at them and comparing now.

One other question though, What would I be gain from using say ALL Nikon flashes such as two sb-700's and a sb-900? those 3 flashes would cost me like ~1200 vs 3 vivitar for ~300

Finer adjustments. I run a 580EX II and two 430EX II's, Canon's equivalent of an SB800 and two SB600's. I can adjust in 1/3 stop increments where as the 285 only has full stop adjustments, iirc.

Same with the LP160, only 1 stop adjustment. It's never bothered me though... I personally don't require that amount of precision.

I'll throw in the Paul C Buff Cybersync transmitter's and receivers to the consideration pool.... $60 for each unit. I've never had a misfire. Battery life is great. Receivers use AAA batteries.

I went the strobist route as well, learned pretty much everything I know about light from Lighting 101. I highly recommend it. He does make recommendations for gear on the site and provides links. mpex.com has strobist kits available.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back