Flash Question

R0TT3NBURIT0

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a begginer question, but i have a built in flash with my Canon Rebel XTi, but i want to know what's a big difference between the built in flash and a seperate flash. i know that some go further than others, but my dad has a seperate flash, but he has the Canon Rebel XS or something similar to that, but he says i don't need a seperate flash. so i ask you, what's the big difference?

A separate flash will have more power and most have the ability to point the flash in different directions, so you can bounce the flash off of the ceiling or walls, which gives a much nicer, less harsh look to your photos.

This is Nikon centric, but here are examples of bounce flash vs direct flash, this is what convinced me to get a separate flash unit for my camera: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb400.htm ..I'm sure canon is similar.

The next step beyond bounce flash is getting the flash completely off the camera, which is even better, so look into that option also.

Some bounce flash sample pics over here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113514

If you just need some daylight fill flash the pop-up can be fine, but that's about it. For portraits and other situations where you're relying on a lot more flash power, getting off-camera flash or just being able to point the flash head in different directions to bounce flash will make a HUGE difference.

Firstly, a hot-shoe flash sits much higher above the lens...which helps to avoid red-eye and gives a slightly better direction of light.
As mentioned, the bigger benefit is if you have a flash that can tilt & swivel, so that you can bounce the flash off of a ceiling or wall etc. That will dramatically improve your flash photos.
The next step is taking the flash off of the camera, which can dramatically improve the light quality again.

I was considering the SB400 for my D40, but I got to thinking... I have cathedral ceilings and an open floor plan so a lot of my bounce surfaces will be 6'-8' (or more) away. Will the SB400 be powerful enough?

The next step is taking the flash off of the camera, which can dramatically improve the light quality again.

I don't quite get this. your saying if i take the flash off my camera it "can" dramiticly improve light quality? For the other comments thank you very much, i'm gonna look into buying a rotating flash for my camera for the "bounce" effect.

I don't quite get this. your saying if i take the flash off my camera it "can" dramiticly improve light quality?

I think he means to use the flash remotely (off the camera body itself, but in a differnt location).

I was considering the SB400 for my D40, but I got to thinking... I have cathedral ceilings and an open floor plan so a lot of my bounce surfaces will be 6'-8' (or more) away. Will the SB400 be powerful enough?
That shouldn't be a problem.

I don't quite get this. your saying if i take the flash off my camera it "can" dramatically improve light quality?
Absolutely. Well, the light coming from the flash will still be the same, the way it lights your subject will be a dramatic improvement over using the flash from the same direction that the camera is pointed.

There is a popular site, http://strobist.blogspot.com, site that is totally dedicated to off-camera flash.

Start with 'Lighting 101'

I don't quite get this. your saying if i take the flash off my camera it "can" dramiticly improve light quality? For the other comments thank you very much, i'm gonna look into buying a rotating flash for my camera for the "bounce" effect.

After you take the flash off camera, you need to mount it somewhere "else" and control it from camera. :mrgreen:

How do I control it with my camera if its somewere "else"? haha
That's where Nikon's Commander Mode comes in. It controls and fires the flash and even meters the light at the camera and relays that back to the flash.

Another option is optical or radio triggers. In this case, you have a 'sender' at the camera and a 'receiver' at the flash. All this does, it tell the flash when to fire and you would need to set the power level yourself.

That's where Nikon's Commander Mode comes in. It controls and fires the flash and even meters the light at the camera and relays that back to the flash.

Another option is optical or radio triggers. In this case, you have a 'sender' at the camera and a 'receiver' at the flash. All this does, it tell the flash when to fire and you would need to set the power level yourself.

Oh i understand what your talking about. Is this like what the 'professionals' use when taking pictures of models?

Yeah it should be fine. I routinely bounce at least that much if not more with the camera tilted on its side going off of a wall. Even if it was a stretch I'd still get the 400 for a D40 anyways, because the SB-600/800 flashes handle so ridiculously poorly on the 40. The camera becomes very top-heavy and imbalanced and the feel is very unnatural and awkward. For any prolonged shooting, it'll suck. The SB-400 is great and nearly weightless though, so no problem.

I just recently bought an external flash, a Canon Speedlite 430EX. I don't fully know how to use it yet, but just an example of the difference an external flash makes below. I took these two shots right after I got the flash. They're not spectacular but they were just test shots. The first shot is with the built-in flash. The shot on the right is with my new 430EX. It was about 9 pm and the lighting in the room was just a little 40 watt bedside lamp. With the 430EX I bounced the light off the ceiling at a 45 degree angle and you can see how it evenly lit the scene with soft light.

flashexample.jpg

Thanks MarcusM. that really helped me out a lot. i think that could be a good idea when im taking pictures of bands. thanks a lot for your help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back