What's new

flash question

wet

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 28, 2009
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Location
Ft Collins
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Extreme newbie question.

I am not a flash person & I don't take many evening shots. However, when I started to try out my flash with my camera, I am confused. With my flash mounted & turn on, my camera meter still read the same setting as though no flash is mounted. Is this possible? I use manual mode & normal sync speed for my flash. What am I missing?
I use canon camera & canon speedlite 420EX.

As always, thanks for all helpful advise.
 
Yes.

With the flash on TTL mode, your camera exposes for the ambient and the TTL meter of the flash will expose to the scene that's being metered.
 
Every flash photo is actually (at least) two exposures. One is from the flash and one is from the ambient light. The camera's meter is for ambient light only. The flash is measured with the use of a pre-flash.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom