Flash Question

Thanks for all the info everyone! hopefully this will help me next time I need more light!

do you only have one flash?

for my camera yes I only have one flash right now.

My take on it, was that the OP was getting side shadows while using a camera mounted flash. As such, I assumed they were shooting in portrait orientation, thus rotating the flash to the side, which caused the side-shadows "when there was anything behind them".

It wasn't a question about the quality of the light, IMO anyway.

So while moving the flash off the camera will certainly improve the lighting on the subject, it doesn't address the issue of the shadows behind the subject...unless you are moving the flash directly above the lens...ie: a flip bracket.

yes I was complaining about the shadow that outlined them on one side.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, here's about 3000 of them.

If you can't bounce of the ceiling (for whatever reason) and you are near a wall, the SB600 flash head can be swiveled to fire backwards.

1035472986_h9dMp-XL.jpg

If you're not near a wall and can't bounce off the ceiling, you can get something to put behind you to bounce the flash off of.​

1035473008_jwmcP-XL.jpg

As mentioned, you can also get a cord for your hotshoe and go old skool.​

1035472942_9WbWt-XL.jpg

I also have a flip bracket that sets the flash ~5" above the lens. It will also telescope and give me an additional 14" above.​

The point all of us are making (I think) is that you don't have to have your hotshoe flash pointed directly at the subject.​

And before any of you wisecrackers make mention of it, I know I am demonstrating with a SB800. Couldn't be bothered to dig it out, but they essentially work the same.​

thanks for those! usually inside i bounce off the ceiling and have no problems with the shadow.

Increase the ISO and decrease the flash power. Your flash is taking over the scene.

I shoot rainy, gloomy days at 800 ISO (or higher). If I'm using a flash in any TTL mode, I'll power it down to -1 or -2. The flash behaves better and does a nicer job of being the fill light that I want. No shadows on the ground behind the subject.

thanks for that I did have my iso way down!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back