Flash Questions

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So an off-camera flash is usually better for portaits, correct? In a non-studio (ie portable) situation, what does one use to support the flash, if it is not on the camera?

I use my left hand (gotta be smart though and use it from all directions, even if crossing arms isn't so comfy). Or a light stand (that way I can toss an umbrella on there too).

You can do plenty with on-camera flash, but if you don't have a surface to bounce it off of, having it off-camera will allow you to get a better angle with it that creates some good shadows and adds definition.

You can take great portraits with a dedicated flash on-camera www.planetneil.com

But, if you do decide to take it from the top of your camera, I agree with Musicale that you can either hand-hold or use a lightstand. http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Become very familiar with the two above links, they will help you immensely if you take the time to read them.

i use my tripod. its just easier to transport and setup as long as your not using umbrellas(ive never used them so i dont know how they mount) i bought a cheap 20.00 tripod from walmat or something its nice and light and perfect for a flash.

Thanks for those links, jsut spent about an hour on strobist and already learned heaps.

Trouble is now I have to go out and buy more photography equipment :meh:

My wallet is getting reamed out lately.

I'm just going to look for (at this stage) a flash unit that I can mount on my hot-shoe and swivel to allow for bouncing etc, and also a pc cable so I can use it off to the side. I can't be bothered carrying around a lightstand so I'll just use bungee cords or soemthing to attach it to stuff with :D

Thanks for those links, jsut spent about an hour on strobist and already learned heaps.

Trouble is now I have to go out and buy more photography equipment :meh:

My wallet is getting reamed out lately.

I'm just going to look for (at this stage) a flash unit that I can mount on my hot-shoe and swivel to allow for bouncing etc, and also a pc cable so I can use it off to the side. I can't be bothered carrying around a lightstand so I'll just use bungee cords or soemthing to attach it to stuff with :D

Best Advice is make some friends that share your interest and then you can share gear that won't break your wallet as much! :)

AFAIK, the Rebel series don't have PC connections (mine sure doesn't). You'll probably need a shoe-to-shoe connector. I use the OC-E3. (If you use something else, it may or may not support ETTL; the OC-E3 definitely does.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back