Flash recharge sound?

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I remember back in the day when flashes made that high-pitched mosquito hummm when they recharged.

I just picked up a Yongnuo YN-560 from eBay. It seems to work great, but when I set it on the higher power levels on "S1" and "S2" (Slave 1 and 2) it seems to make a strange sound when recharging. It's sort of a squelch or a whirr or something. I imagine it is a recharging sound, because it coincides with the recharge indicator lamp.

Why doesn't it do this on the lower levels? Is this normal?

Meanwhile, at least externally, it's a great flash. The body is really nice. The buttons and moving parts all have great action. It feels sturdy and solid. The foot and trigger pin look a little cheap, but for a manual flash, for $90, it's a great deal. This is my first flash, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I feel like I can differentiate shix from Shinola.

Also, I want to give a shout out. I ordered it from charm_zone on eBay, and it arrived in a week.

I think the noise you're hearing is the capacitor(s) charging up. I have 3 different flashes and the two more-powerful ones make a really high pitched noise when I turn them on and during recycle.

Why does it do it in Slave mode but not Manual mode?

Not sure, but it should do it in manual mode as long as you're not dumbing down the power past 1/8 or something. It doesn't make noise at full power in manual?

Not sure, but it should do it in manual mode as long as you're not dumbing down the power past 1/8 or something. It doesn't make noise at full power in manual?

It doesn't do it on Manual mode, on any power. It does it on both Slave modes on full power, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8.

Should I be worried?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back