Flash setup - any good?

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So with Christmas coming up what does the following sound like for a lighting setup - has anyone got any direct experience of Lastolite? I must admit the whole area of flash lighting support gear is alien to me (thus far my little Lumiquest softbox is all I've really had).

Lastolite Lumen8 Pneumatic Lighting Stand Lastolite Lumen8 Pneumatic Lighting Stand (1159) - Wex Photographic

Lastolite Ezybox II Speedlight Bracket Lastolite Ezybox II Speedlight Bracket (2701) - Wex Photographic

Lastolite Ezybox II Square Medium - 60cm Lastolite Ezybox II Square Medium - 60cm (2711) - Wex Photographic

My thinking is that this setup would be well suited to a speedlite based lighting setup (I'm unlikely to shift to other light sources) and would provide a decent diffused light source for generally small to head-sized subjects - so should cover me for general macro work, flowers and other such subjects with space for the odd portrait. (likely I'd look to adding a boom arm for macro work so that I can work down lower to the ground if needed).

So any good - are there alternatives?

Lastolite in generally regarded as pretty good light modifying gear in umbrella boxes, smaller softboxes, and reflectors. I have a couple Lastolite Umbrella Boxes...kind of expensive, but beautiful light quality, but not the best stitching or assembly on the Umbrella Boxes--a bit disappointing actually on the sewing quality. Options would include no-name eBay stuff, Westcott brand, and probably a few others. The dual-speedlight bracket would allow you to shoot two lights each at reduced power for less overheating OR for more sheer total power. I'd agree, 60cm is adequate for head shot and head and shoulders. The light stand seems adequate, and tall enough too.

The alternative would be something like an umbrella box (Lastolite or Photek Softlighter II are the leading 'name brand' models) or a generic internet one like the Steve Kaeser Enterprises umbrella box; a simple umbrella swivel mount adapter; and a light stand.

A 60 cm square box is "not that big", really. An umbrella set-up is much bigger in terms of square inches of light source size, and umbrellas are very economical and easy to replace. Still. Here is a 24x24 inch softbox portrait, + a very slight hair light shot through 3 layers of mylar diffuser on the shadowed side, to give a tiny,tiny bit of light on the shoulder, ear, and top of the hairline area. $148238468.jpg

I use the 30" Lastolite a lot; it works well for more than just headshots - I highly recommend it. This is a single SB800 driving it here:

Susan%20%2811%29.jpg

Thank guys; glad to hear that its got some use and that the brand is generally decent. Certainly there is a case for umbrellas and likely I'll look into them as well in time; the bracket has a slot for one so that won't be a problem to mount.

Overread asking a question?

mind = blown.

Every piece of Lastolite kit that I have is of excellent quality. I have the 60cm (24") EZY Box and it is a snap to put together and break down. It folds to 1/3 its size and fits in a nice little round canvas carry bag. I also bought the extender arm.

EZY Box w/ exyension arm and the TriGrip with one of the relector covers, plus two VAL's.

Steph%20Sartain%20Bridal_0113-XL.jpg

Thanks again guys - Kunda do the VAL's have to be ordered direct? I can't seem to find them for sale on the camera retailer websites.
Well, I've got a couple of Russian and Asian links I could forward, but mind you, they are not photo related sites. I'm on their Rewards Program, so make sure you refer to my name. And just to be nice, I could pass on this website in Kazakhstan that helps out to avoid any possible polygamy issues.

Most reactions

Back