Digital Matt

alter ego: Analog Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey gang,

I recently acquired a Mamiya M645, and I'm wondering about flash sync voltage. I don't really want to use a speedlight, but I'm curious about my monolights. I can't seem to find any recommened sync voltage, or sync voltage limit for the M645. I have a feeling that it is high. My monolights however, are made to be digital safe, so they have a very low sync voltage (6 v or less).

I just don't want to give it a go and fry some circuitry in my camera. I've heard that the older cameras don't even have circuitry for the flash sync, and that you can't over fry them. I'm really afraid that 6v is too low, but I just wondered if any of you have any info.

FYI the lights are Alien Bees 800s.

Hi Matt, I don't think you should have a problem. The synch voltage of studio flash gear is quite low as its only job is to fire the flashes. I use large studio flash equipment for all my cameras, Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya's etc and have never had a problem, but then again I must admit I've never considered it. Press the button and stand back, let me know how you go.

Thanks for the info Phillip. I didn't really think it would be a problem, but ya never know :p My only concern is that these flashes are made for today's digital SLRs.

Digital Matt said:
Thanks for the info Phillip. I didn't really think it would be a problem, but ya never know :p My only concern is that these flashes are made for today's digital SLRs.

Hi Matt, that being the case, you should have less of a problem [if any, and I doubt it] The old film cameras are much more sturdy and less complicated electronics than the modern digital beasts.:confused:

Thanks for the Advice Philip. I gave it a shot, and it fired no problem. I'll have to wait a day or so to get the film processed and make sure the exposures were ok, and that it actually synced ok, but it seemed to be working good.

I've been borrowing from a friend, a Mamiya M645 1000s which is essentially the same camera. His is all beat up, in ugly condition, so I thought I'd test it on it :p

Most reactions

Back