What's new

Flash VS nifty-fifty for club photos..

Ursinamus

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 27, 2010
Messages
52
Reaction score
2
Location
Pennsylvainia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a gig next weekend for a dance. Low-lit, neon spot lights and lots of awkward poses. My 18-55 kit lense cant do any good on its own. My budget is limited, so I've opted for either a new Canon 50mm 1.8 for $125 or a new flash plus diffuser. I've narrowed down my choice to either a new Sunpak PZ42x or a used Canon 430 EX (original). What would be best for near darkness? Im leaning more towards a flash. Suggestions--- thanks!
 
Flash no doubt, but both would be optimal.
 
If you're shooting with a crop sensor, you're going to find that the 50mm is too tight to get full-body shots. I have the Pz42x, and it's a pretty good little flash unit.
 
Both would definitely not be optimal. In any type of typical club a 50mm is not going to get you anywhere. You'll spend your time doing group shots in cramped spaces. A flash + 24mm would be a safer bet. But one thing to note is that regardless of what you lighting is unpredictable, and crappy. You will need a flash.
 
Flash it is! I'll probably order the Sunpak off of Adorama Camera... What diffuser will give me the softest light?
 
Good call on decding to go with flash.

Then google club photos with flash, or simply learn to drag the shutter and experiment with that. Watch for hot spots as your meter may be fooled by darkeness and bright lights might be landing on faces/skin that your meter wasn't accounting for. I guess you didn't ask for advice on what to do after getting a flash, but you never know when others thoughts come in usefull, so there you go.

Good luck, have fun!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom