Flash?

jeljohns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there a way to diffuse the pop-up flash? The flash on my Rebel is really BRIGHT, blinding in fact. I can't really afford to buy a flash attachment yet so I don't have the ability to bounce light.

Also, for future reference does anyone know of an affordable flash for Canon Rebel Xs?

Thanks!

One trick is a peice of white card infront of the pop up. it is crude, but it had always worked for me.
I just picked up an external flash last week. I'm now realizing why everyone just says dump it and get a flash - you wont regret it.

You do know that you can adjust the flash exposure, don't you?
Look up FEC (flash exposure compensation) in your manual.
Also, if you control your exposure to include more ambient light, your flashed subjects won't look so bright in comparison.

The built-in flash on just about any camera will give you light that is flat and boring...which is worse that just being bright.

The puffer looks interesting. Has anyone used this before?

I haven't, I bought an external flash. But I have other Gary Fong products and they're great.

Photographers have carried a white handkerchief for decades just for that purpose...

I have a puffer. I have a 70% empty camera bag with tons of space too and it still sits on a shelf at home, even when I don't take my 580 with me.

That's a little harsh. They're not too bad but they're not dramatic either. They're only $25 so you're not throwing away much, but you get what you pay for, really (again, not much).

I have a puffer. I have a 70% empty camera bag with tons of space too and it still sits on a shelf at home, even when I don't take my 580 with me.

That's a little harsh. They're not too bad but they're not dramatic either. They're only $25 so you're not throwing away much, but you get what you pay for, really (again, not much).

Is there any difference between a puffer when compared to dialing back the pop up flash comp? ... I'm wondering...

Anecdotal evidence only... It seems to be a shade warmer (but not much) and it's a bit softer, but not much. It takes about a stop of light out of the thing.

You will notice it a bit softer light over dialog back the compensation. It's not totally useless in that regard.

The best use I've found for it is that when using on-camera flash outside for fill, that's when it best serves its purpose.

Is there a way to diffuse the pop-up flash? The flash on my Rebel is really BRIGHT, blinding in fact. I can't really afford to buy a flash attachment yet so I don't have the ability to bounce light.

Also, for future reference does anyone know of an affordable flash for Canon Rebel Xs?

Thanks!

just tweak your flash exposure compensation, or shoot your flash in manual.

I own a "Gary Fong Puffer Diffuser", I uses it on my popup flash to trigger my wireless flash. There is a different without the puffer eventho I had the wireless as my main flash. Not as bright it would be on the "pointing area" for close portrait with the puffer.

p.s. I own a D60 which it does not have a build-in commender mode, that's why I had to trigger the wireless with my popup flash.

Check out Garyfong.com and choose "Instruction" at the left up of the page.

Edit: The outlook for the garyfong puffer is nice and more into "professional" looking in my option :)

Kcc

Most reactions

Back