What's new

Flashes, stands, triggers?

mrdemin

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Location
Brooklyn, NY
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I'm looking to order the speedlight 430ex for my rebel, but while at it I want to get a stand for it, and a wireless trigger. Can anyone recommend something not expensive but good enough for a beginner?
While looking into flash units I came across Vivitar, is this something I should look into as well in addition to the speedlight? Will I be ok with one flash for learning how to use it right? I will be practicing at home mostly, and outside learning to use fill flash. Just trying to expand the horizon here and learn as much as I can by doing.
Any recommendations are very welcome for someone trying to learn to use artificial light!!!
Thanks in advance
 
Flashes and Stands and Triggers OHHH MYYYY
 
I am starting to try some strobist type photography myself. I have a Canon 30D, and my flash setup as of now is a Nikon SB-28 (awesome flash), Wescott Apollo Softbox, and a Wescott Light Stand, the stand was $20 and the flash was $90 used so prices will vary.
 
Start out with the lighting 101 section at strobist.com. He does a good job of explaining it all and showing you some choices for purchasing.
 
If you absolutely need to save, go with Cactus V4's. You can get them off the Gadget Infinity website.

However, for absolute trust - go PW.
 


Another negative image. I am seriously NOT going to buy from a store that like to spam a community. If a company think this is okay to do that, I do not think they will take care of their customers. Again, this is just my personal feelings towards this company. It doesn't mean they are bad. But for me, I will shop some place else.

I can really tell the different between this and the other 2 companies that also have reps around. They never ask people to visit their site. But offer REAL advices and products that point back to their site.
 
If you absolutely need to save, go with Cactus V4's. You can get them off the Gadget Infinity website.

However, for absolute trust - go PW.

You're forgetting PCB cyber syncs, Elinchrom Skyports, and the other triggers out there. Cyber Syncs have seemed to become the low cost reliable alternative to most of the other brands.
 
Today I use a 580EXII because when I was shopping for flash, I did not know any better :lol:

I shoot indoor of my daughter and son - nonpro.

If I were shopping today, I will give serious consideration to the YN-465. Hope you can see below EBay search. I searched for "YN-465".
yn-465, Cameras Photo, Nikon. Great deals on eBay!

For wireless triggers, I used Cactus in past. Today I use RF602 - EBay search below.
rf-602, Cameras Photo, rf602. Great deals on eBay!

I use a 6ft Impact light stand - think it was like $25 or something - the cheapest one they have. If you shoot outside, you will want something heavier.
 


Another negative image. I am seriously NOT going to buy from a store that like to spam a community. If a company think this is okay to do that, I do not think they will take care of their customers. Again, this is just my personal feelings towards this company. It doesn't mean they are bad. But for me, I will shop some place else.

I can really tell the different between this and the other 2 companies that also have reps around. They never ask people to visit their site. But offer REAL advices and products that point back to their site.

Linkdelight is a "SUPPORTING VENDOR" of TPF.

Supporting Vendors (Clickable link)
"The Supporting Vendors in this section have made a commitment to the community and help support this website. Please consider using a Supporting Vendor for your future purchases and support the vendors who support you. For information on becoming a Supporting Vendor, please send an email to DougS@ForumFoundry.com"
 


Another negative image. I am seriously NOT going to buy from a store that like to spam a community. If a company think this is okay to do that, I do not think they will take care of their customers. Again, this is just my personal feelings towards this company. It doesn't mean they are bad. But for me, I will shop some place else.

I can really tell the different between this and the other 2 companies that also have reps around. They never ask people to visit their site. But offer REAL advices and products that point back to their site.

Linkdelight is a "SUPPORTING VENDOR" of TPF.

Supporting Vendors (Clickable link)
"The Supporting Vendors in this section have made a commitment to the community and help support this website. Please consider using a Supporting Vendor for your future purchases and support the vendors who support you. For information on becoming a Supporting Vendor, please send an email to DougS@ForumFoundry.com"

They sure are, but unfortunately they come into a discussion saying "You can buy that at this link!" and that's it. Supporting vendors on every other forum I'm a member of do not spam random links. They invest time in conversations and helping people out and will guide them to their site where they can purchase items.

There's a difference between customer service and getting people that want to purchase from you rather than being an annoyance and driving people off.

They're doing the exact same things that spammers do on other forums but apparently they're aloud to get away with it here because they're paying TPF money and if you haven't noticed the state of things recently, that seems all the new owners care about.
 
I know they are supporting Vendors, otherwise, I will not write a message. Instead, I will just "Report Post".

The Supporting Vendors keep adding post to any hardware related thread saying "Go to this link .. and hope that you will get some help". If they can help, why don't they just post the answer here.

I personally find it is very un-professional.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom