Flickr automatically uploading my cell phone pictures?

TWright33

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this is weird...

A couple weeks ago I had a few pictures my brother took with my cellphone randomly show up on my Flickr photostream.

I figured he did it himself so I just deleted it and went along.

Now, this morning I get on my Flickr and there are random pictures from my cellphone all over my Flickr.

One of the pictures was of my dog laying beside me and one of my legs in my beautiful purple geometric boxer briefs.

I send out my Flickr link to people that want to see my work for gigs and such. I do not think anyone has actually seen them, but this is embarrassing if they have.

I deleted my Flickr app, and I do not ever remember giving them permission to my cellphone pictures.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The new iPhone flickr app has a selection in there that you can turn off to keep this from happening.
The confusing part is, I never turned it on myself.

Then it's not like it started at a certain point and began uploading, it was just random images.

TWright33 said:
Has anyone else had this problem?

Richard Barnes, the Deputy Mayor of London had a similar problem...but he had an iPhone...

IIRC the cellphone pics are supposed to stay "private" until you change them; so that even if you upload them they shouldn't be viewable by others.

On a side note, why not get a better website for business than flickr? Even 500px has a free portfolio page. If you're trying to solicit business I wouldn't consider flickr as an ideal option.

I really liked that photo of your girlfriend that you uploaded last night.

IIRC the cellphone pics are supposed to stay "private" until you change them; so that even if you upload them they shouldn't be viewable by others.

On a side note, why not get a better website for business than flickr? Even 500px has a free portfolio page. If you're trying to solicit business I wouldn't consider flickr as an ideal option.

I hope they were private.

I have been looking at having my own Squarespace site.

I just don't have enough pictures for an actual "portfolio"

I don't have my Flickr connected to my less than smart phone so that takes care of that. I know Flickr has made changes and I don't use it much anymore, well never really did, just have it accessible to a few other photographer friends. I wouldn't use it for anything work related I don't think (although purple boxers at worst might just give someone a chuckle, but not probably what you want to be seen as an example of your photography skills).

Guess I'm gonna go check mine and see if like some other sites they change something and you don't realize it (they 'notify' users by changing their terms or whatever, which is pretty random as to how often anyone would reread the terms!).

Who in their right mind would want that feature turned on?

Well, I wasn't gonna say anything, but now you mention it: I keep getting pictures pm'ed to me from you. And honestly, that last one, I couldn't even figure out how two people can GET in that position… :biglaugh:

My guess: When your brother used your cellphone, he uploaded the pics somewhere, and in the process inadvertently chose a setting that allowed your cellphone pics to be uploaded automatically.

It's simple really. Go into settings and turn "auto sync" off. Don't use the camera from inside of the flickr app. Done.

What that scatterbrained guy said. LOL

And this is why I refuse to link my accounts together with things ;)

Also chances are its a lot like those things that try to install themselves along with new browsers like auto help windows and search engines - they either enable as part of a page that looks like it means something else; or they enable by default and you've got to hunt the settings to turn them off.

Companies know that many people will tolerate stuff once they are forced into using it - so they trick you to use it ;)

I just noticed that my phone did this with my Flickr account, as well.

Weird thing, though: I never turned anything on or off, and it started doing it. But photos I shot last night aren't on my Flickr page and, again, I turned nothing on or off.

I never use the camera from within the Flickr app...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back