Flickr Issue

Red_John

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. So I'm not a pro, and maybe I'm doing something wrong while uploading my photos to flickr.

The thing is, when I upload my final version of one photo, I love it in the computer, and when I upload it in flickr, flickr adds some sharpening to the image, maybe because they resize it or something, but I don't like that.

Can you please tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

1) I edit my tiff files in photoshop

2) When I'm done with the worflow, I save the picture by going to "save for web and devices" and select the jpeg format.

Now the thing is, it looks slightly different in flickr. I hate to spend a lot of time, sometimes 5 hours over a picture, and then when I upload the picture on flickr, it just doesn't look exactly the same..

p.s.- I don't have a pro account on flickr. Could that be the problem? I also noticed that there's a lot of people in flickr that have the same problem, but they don't know how to fix it. I already sent an email to the flickr team, but until now there was no answer at all. So I'm posting this here, because hopefully some of you guys know how to fix this.

A few thoughts:

1) Are you resizing the photo yourself or are you letting flickr do it for you? If flickr does it it will apply sharpening to your photo. IT also blocks you from access to the fullsized version (flickr is designed to work best with a paid account but works well without it).
If you are not I would shift to resizing yourself - 1000 pixels on the longest side is enough for anyone on the net most times, but anywhere between 720 and 1000 is good. Note that you'll want to apply some sharpening of your own after resizing and before uploading.

2) If you are on a free account you'll have access to the original upload blocked, flickr will present its own auto-edited resizes to use however. This includes if you upload 1000pixel sized images - so you can't get at your original without paying

3) make sure you're using sRGB for your resized jpeg for the net as most browsers are colourspace unaware.

Note flickr pro is only around $20 per year and gives you much better organising capabilities. It's worth it if you look into the groups and rest of filckrs features, although with photobucket slowly upping their game its getting to be less of a gain on flickr's part (but I still find flickr faster and cleaner than photobucket to use)

I only use 'save for web and devices' when I want the smallest file size I can get.

Consequently, I hardly ever use 'save for web and devices'.

Hello. So I'm not a pro, and maybe I'm doing something wrong while uploading my photos to flickr.

The thing is, when I upload my final version of one photo, I love it in the computer, and when I upload it in flickr, flickr adds some sharpening to the image, maybe because they resize it or something, but I don't like that.

Can you please tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

1) I edit my tiff files in photoshop

2) When I'm done with the worflow, I save the picture by going to "save for web and devices" and select the jpeg format.

Now the thing is, it looks slightly different in flickr. I hate to spend a lot of time, sometimes 5 hours over a picture, and then when I upload the picture on flickr, it just doesn't look exactly the same..

p.s.- I don't have a pro account on flickr. Could that be the problem? I also noticed that there's a lot of people in flickr that have the same problem, but they don't know how to fix it. I already sent an email to the flickr team, but until now there was no answer at all. So I'm posting this here, because hopefully some of you guys know how to fix this.

My answer to your question is basically everything Overread already said.

But--FIVE HOURS of editing?? on a single picture??? That's astounding! I don't think I even KNOW five hours worth of post-processing techniques. :lmao:

What settings
WebDevices.jpg
do you use in the red boxes?

A few thoughts:

1) Are you resizing the photo yourself or are you letting flickr do it for you? If flickr does it it will apply sharpening to your photo. IT also blocks you from access to the fullsized version (flickr is designed to work best with a paid account but works well without it).
If you are not I would shift to resizing yourself - 1000 pixels on the longest side is enough for anyone on the net most times, but anywhere between 720 and 1000 is good. Note that you'll want to apply some sharpening of your own after resizing and before uploading.

2) If you are on a free account you'll have access to the original upload blocked, flickr will present its own auto-edited resizes to use however. This includes if you upload 1000pixel sized images - so you can't get at your original without paying

3) make sure you're using sRGB for your resized jpeg for the net as most browsers are colourspace unaware.

Note flickr pro is only around $20 per year and gives you much better organising capabilities. It's worth it if you look into the groups and rest of filckrs features, although with photobucket slowly upping their game its getting to be less of a gain on flickr's part (but I still find flickr faster and cleaner than photobucket to use)

thanks for answering. I save the picture in srgb mode. What I don't do is resizing. I mean, I do it, but I resizy from around 4000px to about 1850. So, that might be the problem..

What settings
WebDevices.jpg
do you use in the red boxes?

first of all: thanks for answering.
second: WOW, that portrait looks so great
third: here is a printscreen of my boxes:

$Sem Título.jpg

My answer to your question is basically everything Overread already said.

But--FIVE HOURS of editing?? on a single picture??? That's astounding! I don't think I even KNOW five hours worth of post-processing techniques. :lmao:[/QUOTE]

yes, sometimes it happens. As I said I'm not a pro, but I'm trying to understand a little bit of the stuff.

I have spent hours on a photo when I first started using PS. If I am improving a pic for someone I have spent that much time. Especially when I have to replace body parts from an old or damage photo.

Don't use the default - Bicubic. Use Bicubic Smoother.

Thanks for the tip. And what does it do exactly?
And should I change the preset to JPEG High?

Changing the JPEG preset will change the file size. JPEG High = the Quality - 60 there to the right.

The quality value can be anything from 1 to 100.

Choosing Metadata - None also reduces file size because the EXIF data gets stripped from the image.

Open the dialog box, click on each option, and see what is available.

Hopefully, you have a good Photoshop reference book handy. Something like - Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Changing the JPEG preset will change the file size. JPEG High = the Quality - 60 there to the right.

The quality value can be anything from 1 to 100.

Choosing Metadata - None also reduces file size because the EXIF data gets stripped from the image.

Open the dialog box, click on each option, and see what is available.

Hopefully, you have a good Photoshop reference book handy. Something like - Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

So in your opinion I just need to change the quality bicubic to bicubic smoother, and that will fix the problem, correct? Next time I upload something in flickr I will try that, and see the difference.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back