What's new

Florida Wildflower w/PP

SarasotaTim

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 9, 2011
Messages
34
Reaction score
1
Location
Sarasota, Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Made a version with muted colors and a bit of glow...I'm thinking now it needs a bit more saturation, I was going for the nice, soft desaturated look of some portrait photos I see by the more experienced folks on here :)


FlowerDesat by Sarasota Tim, on Flickr
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I was using the smallest f-stop possible (f5.6 on a canon 18-55 lens, zoomed to 55mm), but the background wasn't that far away from the subject, I know that has an impact as well....but yes I wish I could have gotten a more shallow DOF!

Thanks for the link too, checking it out now! :)

Actually, this gives me a chance to ask..........it seems like that lens should be able to give me smaller f-stops than 5.6.....if I don't zoom in and use the lens at 18mm, I can get 3.2 I think...but no lower. I'm shooting in Manual mode....if I adjust other things (ISO, shutter speed), will that allow me to open the aperture further, or is 5.6 on a 55mm zoom as low as I can get? I feel like I'm doing something wrong in this department, as I'm still experimenting lol
 
Your welcome.......if you want more links let me know....lol
I'm a flower link whore......:hug:::sexywink:
 
Nevermind, did some research and answered my own question about the stock Canon lens that comes with the Rebel XS:

"If you are using the kit lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, it's f/3.5 max at 18mm, and f/5.6 max at 55mm"

So I'm assuming then, contrary to what I've heard, you'll get a more shallow DOF by NOT zooming in to the maximum focal length of the lens?
 
The DOF depends on aperture, focal length and focus distance. At a given focal length and distance, larger aperture gives less DOF. As to whether 3.5 at 18mm gives less DOF than 5.6 at 55mm at close focus, you could do some quick test shots and find out. (I'd like to know the answer myself.)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom