Flower Photography. Critique on one photo?

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After much help from Sleist, he came to the conclusion that I had to change some settings which included the camera calibration setting setting to Camera Standard.

Camera: Nikon D200
Lens: Nikkor 55-200mm ED VR f4.0-5.6
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 200mm
F-Stop: f7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/40th

$8711151742_6f588b3dc8_k.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to see the original!

IMO, after clicking on it, the whole image looks a little soft to me. With the color punched up, it seems to turn into just a big mass, the flowers aren't very defined individually.

IMO, after clicking on it, the whole image looks a little soft to me. With the color punched up, it seems to turn into just a big mass, the flowers aren't very defined individually.

Agreed!That is why I asked for the original, lol!

Yes, that's what I found. A bit soft, due probably to not quite enough DOF, maybe some issues with the 1/40 second speed, and overall seems over-saturated and too much in-your-face, color and saturation wise. "Representative" flower close-ups that have that much depth to the subject can be pretty tricky to pull off in single-shot mode. Little details seem magnified too...like the stems on the left and right side; the barren stem on the left side kind of bugs me, the one on the right side a bit less so.

Definitely OOF. Also the flower and background aren't separated enough. Just my opinion but I like the background a bit darker and so I use flash to do this. The bokeh in this shot is not of high quality.

I am posting the highest resolution I can, I just tried uploading this to my flickr account and the highest it's letting me use is 2048x1371, it looks like you have to pay to have access to the original file size online now. Bizarre.

$8700722255_c0ade81150_k.jpg

Magenta is blown. Did you shoot raw or jpeg?

Photo shot in RAW with Nikon D200. Is that normal for this camera and how do I fix it?

Looks oversaturated.

Photo shot in RAW with Nikon D200. Is that normal for this camera and how do I fix it?

Not likely a problem with the camera. If you shot in raw, this is a post processing issue. Additionally, if this looks good on your monitor, you may need to recalibrate
If you could upload the NEF someplace for download, I could take a look in Capture NX2 and see what Nikon would have done with it as opposed to LR.
I could at least open it using the camera's exact settings and post a JPEG so you could see if the LR default was to blame.

I'm using a Apple Macbook, not sure about adjusting the screen is possible. I'll send you a pm later today after I get off work to work out a way to send you a NEF.

New Photo at the top with what was changed for LR4.4 settings.

Most reactions

Back