Flowers and Leaves - *big series*

lee_alkureishi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been having a go with my make-do macro rig to shoot some flowers recently. What do u think? :)

Kit:
D70
Manual Bellows (Unitor)
12mm extension tube (can't mount the D70 otherwise...)
Old 105mm Zenitor f/3.5 Lens, Reverse Mounted onto the bellows
(for the really close ones, I reversed a 50mm f/3.5 Zenitor)
SB-600 + 3 Clipon desk lamps
2 Home-made plamp-style clamps
Patience....

Hope you enjoy these as much as I do :) (there are some similar ones, as I can't decide which is best ;) )

Leeko

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

I like shot 1 and 2, the rest dont really do anything for me.

By the way, Perhaps numbering your images would be easier for people to say which ones they like etc..

Hi Hobosyke,

thanks for the comment. I've numbered the images as you suggested :)

Funny how you like the first two - they're probably my least favourites of the bunch... :lol:

The first one - I thought it might be a bit hokey with the edge blur etc, and the surroundings are a bit cluttered for my liking..

Second - I had a picture in my mind of what I wanted for this shot, but the finished shot just didn't quite match it... not sure why :x (BTW, if anyone else is trying the leaf-veins shot, make sure to check the back of the leaf for scars too. They'll show through when you backlight it... took me a while to figure out where the marks were coming from on the finished images :p)

Best regards,

Leeko

12 is almost the same image as 13, but I set the focus point to the petals rather than the stamen. The petals do look slightly softer than I would like, though...

Leeko

Ah, someone else who likes to "play" with macro settings and to test out what can be done ... interesting outcome here, focus is ever so shallow in these supermacro photos, isn't it? I really like 13 best of the entire series, with the focus on the stamen, makes the macro better to understand than your version with the focus on the leaves in 12. Plus I like the overall composition AND the colours of 13.

I have taken macros of leaves at some point in time, out of sheer boredom. Don't know where they are these days, but if you are interested, I might go dig them up for you.

Number 2 is my favorite, and 13 a close second... nice macros... :thumbup:

13 is my pick of the bunch,

Well done!

Elliott

Most reactions

Back