I just see this as all too common..."I found a subject, now just walk around it to look for something interesting." Manipulate your subject! DO something with it. Take it apart. Think of singularities, groups, backgrounds, lighting, juxtaposition, contrast...That's where you become creative and set yourself apart from all the other static pictures of a bouquet. Same holds true for all the images of daffodils in the back yard. They are boring because everyone has seen them. There's no "OMG! Daffodils! Growing out of the ground!" Pick one, or two, or three. Get some leaves too. Take them inside and create and image.
As for light, as said I think, you can come up with something. Think of lightsources *you* have available. Candles, flashlights, leds...Think of how you can control that light with snoots, diffusion, direction...
Settings to use? Well, that depends on many things doesn't it? These are more creative choices available to you. Narrow DoF, broad DoF, including the background, blurring the background...You even have variables with different lenses. There is soo much readily available to you to start thinking creatively, that yes, these shots are boring.
There are also two schools of thought in regards to asking for CC. I like to know what you were trying to do, or what response you are trying to ilicit. That way CC can be giving directly to what you were trying to achieve. Others think that if you give that information, you bias the viewer, and guide the response. It's the "wait and see if they get it" approach. I won't say one is better than the other. For instance, you said "I guess for now I was just trying to get used to my camera, and see how well I'm doing." Well, then, I would wonder if you even wanted CC on the creativity or impact of the image. Did you just want to know if it's well exposed and in focus?
Those two images came from the TPF member Clawed, by the way, from last year.