Flowers - first shots with my new (to me) 7100

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
No time to get out this weekend but wanted to test out my new 7100. Grabbed some flowers while I was grocery shopping - no idea what these are but thought they were pretty. Hope you like it. Comments, suggestions for improvement, critique always welcome!

DSC_0341_8969c.jpg

Flowers, my favourite subject. These aren't too bad, but watch the focus and the crop at the top. My comments are :

1. The selective focus can work, but I think I would have cropped off the "shorter" blossoms on the left. I also would have tried to have the selective focus work more from front to back rather than "lower right" to "upper left" .

2. I would also have left a bit more space at the top of the image as well. This gives the flowers a bit more "breathing" room, so to speak.

3. I do like the placement of the entire "bouquet" on the left and the negative space on the right.

WesternGuy

Flowers, my favourite subject. These aren't too bad, but watch the focus and the crop at the top. My comments are :

1. The selective focus can work, but I think I would have cropped off the "shorter" blossoms on the left. I also would have tried to have the selective focus work more from front to back rather than "lower right" to "upper left" .

2. I would also have left a bit more space at the top of the image as well. This gives the flowers a bit more "breathing" room, so to speak.

3. I do like the placement of the entire "bouquet" on the left and the negative space on the right.

WesternGuy

Thanks for your feedback.

New camera
Shot away with your 17-70 mm f/2.8-4
and have fun

Nice quickie photo :icon_thumleft:

Congrats on the camera. Like the flower shot. I think the upper right would be better if it kept the purple tint and not going to the yellow/brown color to keep it in the background. Anyway, great shot for just playing with the new toy.

Congrats on the camera. Like the flower shot. I think the upper right would be better if it kept the purple tint and not going to the yellow/brown color to keep it in the background. Anyway, great shot for just playing with the new toy.

Thanks. Hmmm, I'm not sure where that color change came from. The background is just a yard of lilac and white patterned fabric that I hung on the wall. If it caught the end of the fabric it would be showing a white door so it's not that. Must be a shadow from something or the light being different coming through the curtains on the other side of the room. I'm going to have another go at these today before the flowers die off so I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks again for looking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back