I picked up a bunch of flowers today in clear cellophane and I was trying to photograph them through the cello with the water droplets. This is the result.
I am new to my camera, and the night before I had been taking night shots, I *thought* that when I turned the camera off it would restore the normal settings and didn't realize until later the night settings were still on for these cello/flowers. :er: duh.
Just a tip, which you just learned the way we all did.
When starting each day always check you camera settings to make sure they are where you want them.
That is one of the hardest things to remember with DSLRs is to remember to check and reset your settings as photographic opportunity comes up.
You're right, contrast and black point make a difference, and I've been playing with Lightroom - so much fun. A 4.99 bunch of daisies has kept me busy for hours.