Flyologist

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I am becomming one - that or all I seem to find in the garden are lightning quick dragons and flies!

Taken with Canon 400D and sigma 150mm macro and speedlite 580

1)
3235196828_51dc827533.jpg

f13, ISO 200, 1/25sec, handheld, manual mode (I was on the ground sitting at the time ;)
Link to larger: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3487/3235196828_2f8d645376_o.jpg

2)
3234347073_4123d6a12a.jpg

f13, ISO 200, 1/20sec, manual mode, hand held
Link to larger: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3302/3234347073_eb93fe9c1f_o.jpg
This was one very big and fat fly!

Any comments/crits welcome thank you

Last edited:
Eughh, that is just delisiously disgusting :).

You get dragons in your garden, that sounds wonderfull. How you managed to hold the shots for 1/20th of a second i have no idea, did you happen to note what the light metering would have been at f13 without the flash?

tim

the only way I could hold these was because I was sitting on the floor - so I was more stable than if I had been standing - where I certainly need a faster shutter.
I am afraid I did not test without flash at f13 - sometimes I get a method I find works so I just stick at it for a whole series of shots - it tends to hit me in the face later when the situation chances and I miss shots - something I am slowly correcting that error

And a dipterist --- its not long and fancy enough a name - needs more latin in it ;)

And a dipterist --- its not long and fancy enough a name - needs more latin in it ;)

Maybe, but check out the pix on that site! They meet in the UK, too!

I am starting to think I need need a good book on insects and breeds - never new there were that many types of fly in the world!
A quick look at their photos and it seems there is a scope and space in there for a range of good macro shots - they seem to have a lot of older looking photos --- I bet they wish for someone with an MPE65 to appear - 1:1 appears their closest - an not I don't have an MPE65 - wish I did though!

I am starting to think I need need a good book on insects and breeds - never new there were that many types of fly in the world!
A quick look at their photos and it seems there is a scope and space in there for a range of good macro shots - they seem to have a lot of older looking photos --- I bet they wish for someone with an MPE65 to appear - 1:1 appears their closest - an not I don't have an MPE65 - wish I did though!

I can't imagine trying to chase a live fly with an MPE65! Yeah, I'll bet you'd be welcome at a dipterist's meetup if you showed up with a macro lens and a ringflash!

*makes a note to get a ringflash - or positional heads*
I have seen some very impressive bee headshots taken with an MPE65 - though its definatly a difficult lens to work with - and needs that macro flash.
oh and page 4 of their gallery appears to have a much more impressive line of photos!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back