focus interferes with polarizing filter?

amateurhour

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have a canon ae-1 that came with a 35-70m 1:3.5-4.5 canon fd zoom lens. I recently bought a hoya linear polarizing filter that screws onto the lens.

1. When I'm focusing on the zoom lens, it also rotates the polarizing filter, apparently affecting the polarization. Therefore it requires that I delicately twist the polarizing filter to the desired polarization without changing the focus. Is this tricky task avoidable in any way? Would a different lens be better?

Many lenses have a non rotating filter ring to get round this 'internal focusing' lenses are the main group of these, but there are a few extending lenses that dont have rotating filters.

I think less than 10% of my lenses are internal focusing, but I've never found it a problem anyway (perhaps I just don't use polarizers enough.)

A polarizing filter often needs adjusting from shot to shot just because I'm facing a different way, or want to maximize reflections rather than kill them...
I usually compose with the focus nearly right , adjust the polarizer if required then home in the focus with AF or focus aids (Many of my lenses are manual focus only).

thanks. it looks like most FD lens' have the focus ring on the end. does that sound right to you? it's a little difficult for me to deal with when I don't have time to set up a shot and want to use the filter.

Most reactions

Back