Focus Issues Part Deux

RedWylder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I've done a little picture taking research and here's what I've come up with: it is indeed me. My infinity focus isn't all the way to the right but a little back from it which is what some of you have suggested. By turning VR off and using a tripod I was able to get a fairly sharp photo. Now here's my other issue with focus. I keep "missing" (I guess this is what is happening) the correct focus point when shooting people with f5.6 and a fastish shutter speed (100 or above). I struggle when looking through my viewfinder trying to tell if it is perfectly focused or not. I often find myself squinting and thinking I've gotten it right only to find results like these below taking on a sledding excursion:

P.S. Please feel free to lend other advice on these photos as well as this was my first "event".

DSC_1235.jpg

DSC_1265.jpg

DSC_1270.jpg

DSC_1354.jpg

5. One of the few that I think looked pretty good, (if only it wasn't a butt shot)

DSC_1366.jpg

Any tips on manual focus? How do I do it quickly and not mess it up? (just practice?) Or do ya'll use autofocus in a situation like this?

Manual focus takes practice. I almost never use it anymore, and not for a lot of years. I've been using AF cameras for a long time. Do yourself a favor and use AF (select center point only), and shoot in aperture priority and see what that does for your pics.

The viewfinder on a D3000 is small and dark... not really suited for manual focus. I tried some old MF lenses on my T2i body and it was practically completely due to luck if I were to get any shots focused properly. I've since upgraded to a split prism focusing screen w/ grid lines (like the old 35mm SLRs used) and I can now manually focus a little bit better.. but it's still hard with the small Rebel viewfinder. Also, now my little red focus indication dots barely light up.

If you'd like to get one, you can spend about $80 at focusingscreen.com - they'll cut it custom for your camera and mail it to you in a nice kit, complete with tweezers and finger condoms. I had to remove 2 metal shims (comes standard from Canon that way) to get it to focus perfectly. It wasn't that difficult.. just took some time. You can order a screen from "katzeye" too, and it might or might not be a little better quality, but it will be more expensive, especially if you want grid lines.

Just something to consider I guess.

I guess I keep trying to use manual because I don't know how to use Autofuocus properly and get it focused on the correct thing. I should read up on this I guess.

[edit] AF is BRILLIANT.....I've been wasting so much time trying to manual focus. Sheesh!

Last edited:
Try using autofocus with the center focus point only.

In my experience it is easier to focus on the subject you want, hold the shutter button half way down, recompose, then shoot. Whatever you pointed at with the center point will be in focus.

Does that make any sense?

Something else that might help is to shoot in AI-servo mode(Canon terminology, I'm not sure what Nikon calls it), which is for shooting moving objects. Objects moving towards or away from you in particular.

ShutterFreaks -- Canon's AI Servo

Good luck
Gary

I think I found the Nikon equivalent and yes tygr that did make sense. :)

Try using autofocus with the center focus point only.

Why? I mean as an experiment or as a suggestion from your experience?
Not all focus points are created equal. Like your D3000, the center focus point in most of today's cameras is a cross-type focus point, which is more accurate than regular focus points. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-autofocus.htm

All the tutorials on that web site are pretty good, worth bookmarking.

Most reactions

Back