What's new

Focus stacking (take two) coins

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
1,191
Reaction score
108
Location
Phoenix Arizona
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, since the last one i posted i have learned a little more. I took off my uv filter this time for starters lol. Also I learned you get a lot of artifacts when you have multiple of the same focal leanths stacking on one an other. I had to find the problem shots and take them out one by one until it cleared up. Tonight took about 350 shots at F/8. Stacked about 5 times before i found the one that worked. The lighting was very warm (55 watt soft white bulb) so I cooled it down in PP.
This shot is 24 layers to keep as much in focus as possable. I noticed the bottom left has a little blur but I couldnt find the shot causing it so its there. The Apollo 11 coin has an odd texture to it but I went with it anyways. This has been a good learning expierance. Whacha think?

COINS

24expF8.jpg
 
Looks good, what source of info / tutorial did you follow? If any that is :P Ive been interested in focus stacking lately.
 
Just wanted to say good job! I might crop a tiny bit off the bottom because there's a blurry spot there on a quarter but everything else looks just about right on.

EDIT: I see you mentioned the blur... also 24 shots, damn that's great..
 
Last edited:
Amazing. Seriously. How'd you do it? What program did you use?
 
cool thanks for the responces. I just did a little research on youtube to see how others are doing it. here is one i watched a couple times. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJiEw4VCcYU[/ame]
I used CombineZM for the softwere because its free. You can use photoshop to do it as well but i have heard its more of a pain. Maybe soon I will be able to apply this in the field instead of my spare bedroom lol.
 
Looks a lot improved!
 
Thanks everyone :)
Its fun to learn new things.
 
I would think it would be pretty easy to find the single frame that has the bottom two coins in focus and add them in as a layer mask or just cut and paste them as a new layer. Other than that, looks good.
 
I would think it would be pretty easy to find the single frame that has the bottom two coins in focus and add them in as a layer mask or just cut and paste them as a new layer. Other than that, looks good.
Yeah true but i spent tooo long putting it all together and i was tired (1:00am) so i called it a night and posted it real fast. I think i just missed the focus on it. I started with a F2.8 earlier in the night and changed it to F8 for this one. I was thinking that I would have a larger DoF then i did. After 3-4 shots I began to narrow my shots to keep them closer. But oh well right? I already spent the change lol so it was a one timer!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom