mamatomaya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
snapshotsbybri.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,
I seem to really have a hard time getting that sharpness around the eyes. I try my best to get the focus points right over the eyes, but I seem to miss or something. Here are two photos (SOOC)from today. Maybe shutter speed was too slow here? Any help is appreciated :) Thanks!

#1 f/5.6 1/80 I200
IMG_6761.jpg

#2 f/5.6 1/80 I200
IMG_6760.jpg

If you are handheld, 1/80/s can be stretching it for tac sharp photos. Try a tripod, and shoot for 1/120/s. Looks like lighting could use some improvement as well.

Cute girl!

Cute kid. :)

Canon? Nikon? Another brand?

I know with Canon you can choose the AF point(s) that you want to you use... I generally only use the center point... Focus the target (eyes in this case), hold the shutter halfway... recompose... and shoot.

It usually works for me... depending on the DOF and distance of the target... And other things I'm sure...

Focus the target (eyes in this case), hold the shutter halfway... recompose... and shoot.

Good tip, just keep in mind that small movements by you (and the camera) once you lock focus impacts the shot (took me a while to realize this simple concept).

Cute kid. :)

Canon? Nikon? Another brand?

I know with Canon you can choose the AF point(s) that you want to you use... I generally only use the center point... Focus the target (eyes in this case), hold the shutter halfway... recompose... and shoot.

It usually works for me... depending on the DOF and distance of the target... And other things I'm sure...

I am shooting with a canon rebel. It does have 5 AF points, but I think that part of the problem may be what is mentioned below that I am getting lots of movement when I recompose after focusing. Also think SS is a problem.

Thanks! She is my daughter :)

Focus the target (eyes in this case), hold the shutter halfway... recompose... and shoot.

Good tip, just keep in mind that small movements by you (and the camera) once you lock focus impacts the shot (took me a while to realize this simple concept).

It sharpens up fine in PS. When I use my 350D, even with great glass like my Sigma 50 or 35, I have to hit the pics pretty liberally with sharpening in PS. With my 50D, a very light hand. Looks fine, but I would kick the exposure comp 1/3 to the right, maybe 2/3's, and for this shot I would have bumped ISO to 400 for a faster SS. Otherwise, focus looks fine, but as already suggested, turn off all but center AF point. It will save you lots of frustration.

IMG_6760.jpg

I am shooting with a canon rebel. It does have 5 AF points, but I think that part of the problem may be what is mentioned below that I am getting lots of movement when I recompose after focusing. Also think SS is a problem.

Thanks! She is my daughter :)

Yup... I had a similar issue with my 50D... But when I changed the setting to use only the center focus point... (as opposed to letting the camera decide whitch focus point to use) it helped.

Not saying it will solve everything. But its worth a try...

It sharpens up fine in PS. When I use my 350D, even with great glass like my Sigma 50 or 35, I have to hit the pics pretty liberally with sharpening in PS. With my 50D, a very light hand. Looks fine, but I would kick the exposure comp 1/3 to the right, maybe 2/3's, and for this shot I would have bumped ISO to 400 for a faster SS. Otherwise, focus looks fine, but as already suggested, turn off all but center AF point. It will save you lots of frustration.

IMG_6760.jpg

Thanks! I did like it quite a bit PP, but I was just thinking that I should gett better sharpness SOOC, but maybe I am expecting too much?

No, you're not expecting too much. If you get a photo with spot on focus, it will bet plenty sharp...it just takes a few (sometimes many) to get that shot. That is why I shoot in "continuous" mode and nab several shots in a row...one is likely to be good.

Go into your menu and see where your sharpening is set. You can always turn it up, but with the 350D you won't get tack sharp JPEGs SOOC. If you shoot RAW and PP, you'll get much more than you'd think out of that camera.

Definitely sharper and the exposure, particularly around the eyes, is better. However, it looks a little yellow or green to me now.

Just for fun here is my edit:

IMG_6761copy2.jpg

It still has a colour cast to it, thought I would see what I was able to pull out, I was aiming for a more natural look.

Levels adjusted, sharpened and a blue filter used to offset colour cast.

wh4n19tu.jpg

Most reactions

Back