Focusing help with 50 mm

lfoush

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I own a Nikon d3100, and normally use my 50mm to shoot. The problem is, this lens does not automatically focus on that camera body, so I have to manually focus. On aperture and shutter priority modes I can tell when I am in sharp focus by the needle on the inside of the viewfinder. If I shoot in manual mode however, I have to "guess" when my focus on the subject is sharpest. Is there any way you can tell when you are in sharp focus on your subject when shooting like this in manual mode? It becomes very annoying as sometimes I think my subject is in focus when it actually isn't. Hopefully this makes sense. Any tips would be awesome.:thumbup:

The complete D3100 user's manual is a PDF file on the software disc that is included with the camera.

Nikon makes, and has made, several diffferent 50 mm lenses so it would be helpful to know which one you are using.

But.
Edit - Rangefinder mode is unavailable when using Manual shooting mode.

With a D type lens mounted, when in Manual mode the D3100 should light the in-focus indicator on the left in the viewfinder when focus has been achieved at the selected focus point in the viewfinder.

Last edited:
Built in range finder ( I think that's what it's called). It's a green or yellow dot that will tell you when you achieve focus.

I don't know if your camera has live view but if it does- you can try that.

The complete D3100 user's manual is a PDF file on the software disc that is included with the camera.

Nikon makes and has made several diffferent 50 mm lenses so it wold be helpful to know which one you are using.

But.
Look in your user's manual Index for the page that tells about the D3100 Rangefinder Mode. It will help you manually focus the lens, as long as the lens sends distance information to the camera..

Same time lol

Built in range finder ( I think that's what it's called). It's a green or yellow dot that will tell you when you achieve focus.

I don't know if your camera has live view but if it does- you can try that.

My camera does have live view. How do I tell if it is in sharp focus from that? The lens I am shooting with is a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

My camera does have live view. How do I tell if it is in sharp focus from that? The lens I am shooting with is a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

By looking at the live view during focus and seeing if you achieved focus.

Also in live view, you can zoom in on the screen to double check what exactly is in focus. This I found helpful especially when shooting macro. It's a little slow of a process for anything that moves or needs a quick shot.

In manual mode the left/right rangefinder is disabled, yes.

Choices:

- use the "in focus" indicator, green light lower left in the viewfinder. I'm bad at this.
- switch to A to focus, back to M to shoot. This is what I do.
- use live view, zooming in on it to focus manually. I do this sometimes, but it's slow and you really want to be on a tripod.

If you have photoshop you could easily duplicate the image to have to layers
th.jpg

hd.jpg

00.jpg

sh.jpg

eu.jpg

What do you mean?

xingye appears to be a robot, copying posts from other threads into new ones. I reported him/her/it.

^ Makes sense (what you said that is, not xingye's comment)

If you’re using the 50mm D on manual mode you should be seeing the green dot that lights up in the viewfinder if you achieve focus. A bit tricky, like what amolitor said, but quite helpful in training your eye for manual focusing. I do a lot of film shooting these days and all those years I spent with a D3000 and 50mm D has helped a lot with my manual focusing skills.

If you're attempting any still life work or posing a portrait - use a small mag-lite flashlight with the snoot off. Have the subject hold it near their face while on, or place it in the scene where you want focus. Now, when you goto focus, get that sucker sharp - you'll see it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back