Foggy sunset

All the elements of this shot really work. I REALLY like this one.

I agree that this shot really works. But trying to learn here. Is this one of the times you break the rules to make it work? Isn't there something about never putting the horizon in the center of the shot?

I think that rule is horse poo. There's always exceptions.
Great shot!

I agree that this shot really works. But trying to learn here. Is this one of the times you break the rules to make it work? Isn't there something about never putting the horizon in the center of the shot?

Yes, some of the dead space at the top could be cropped.

Sometimes its good to break the rules. :)

Unless breaking the rules results in a better photo, it is a dumb idea.

Unless breaking the rules results in a better photo, it is a dumb idea.

Why? Who decides the rules?

The "rules" don't always have to be followed, but they were spelled out in an effort to help with composition. In the case of the horizon in the middle, it makes for a rather static picture. Dynamism is something that most people want to depict in one way or another.

Ignoring the "rules" of composition once in a while is good exercise. You get to see what makes for a successful photograph or not, as the case may be.

A simple two-way crop might improve this shot. Such as:

$_MG_4485-Edit_zpsaee683ec - Version 2.jpg

I love the first one, my only pick would be that the neutral density filter line is pretty obvious, though I realize that this should wouldn't even be close to possible without using one. The rule of thirds rule is certainly made to be broken, especially in landscape photos, where you can apply the rule in a left to right fashion to compensate.

From a practical standpoint, shooting wide landscapes and placing the horizon high or low leaves you dealing with the problem of distortion. You can, of course, crop. I am a bit of a purist though. I prefer to do what I can in camera.

This is a Great shot!

Most reactions

Back