Fogo Island - Testing New Lenses

camperbc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I added two lenses to my arsenal this week and got a chance last night to try them out. The first image was captured with a 25 year old Minolta Maxxum 50mm f/1.7 prime lens, and the second with the newest "kit lens", the Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

I left it awfully late, (35-40 minutes after the sun went down) and it was quite dark, but I wanted to see if I could salvage anything with the fast Minolta lens, and was surprised that not only did this old tank of a lens do very well in such poor light, but interestingly, so did the new Sony lens.

You will recall this same old sailing schooner's wheel (that sits at the shoreline of our home in the tiny community Island Harbour, NL) from past postings on this forum. It is believed to be well over 100 years old, and really is a shame that it's still sitting out in the elements like that, (rather than in a museum somewhere) but it makes for a great focal point, I think.

Both images were taken hand-held, with my Sony Alpha.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland : about my photography:

DSC02031a900pix.jpg

DSC02049jpga900pix.jpg

Fogo Island Photography: Focus On Newfoundland : about my photography:
Fogo Island Journal: THE FOGO ISLAND JOURNAL
DSC00048a504pix.jpg

Glen
I like your photography.

If the second shot had the wheel and foreground more as a silhouette, I think it would be a really good shot.

Very nice shots, but something funky is going on with the wheel in the first image. I think it might be some noise but the color of the noise is odd, I'm seeing bright reds and blues, is anyone else noticing this? Maybe it's the breakfast beer I just had...?

Hi AverageJoe,
The weird colors you see on the wheel are really there. It is seriously rusted out and discolored, as it has sat outside in that spot for many, many years. The elements are to blame for the strange colors.
Here it is without the selective colour on the wheel.
DSC02031abw900pix.jpg

Thanks,
Glen

Last edited:
I don't know about others but I LOVE your colors...and I wouldn't rotate them at all.

Especiallly I am in love with the first picture. I think it's wonderful)))

Most reactions

Back